Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Harddrive?

1. External Harddrive?

I wanted your guys opinion on a good External Harddrive that I can use between home and school. I would like to be able to carry it around in my backpack. Only has to be about 60gb (a bit higher or lower is fine)..no external power-supply though.

2. The best (and cheapest) thing to do is go to a computer store, buy an OEM hard drive (200 gigs goes for like, 80 bucks) and then get a HD enclosure to make your own external HD. The whole ordeal will cost you a half hour of labor (not even) and 120 bucks, maybe.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Valgar
    I wanted your guys opinion on a good External Harddrive that I can use between home and school. I would like to be able to carry it around in my backpack. Only has to be about 60gb (a bit higher or lower is fine)..no external power-supply though.
    get an ipod/any hd mp3 player. they're small, have small power adapters, and you can play mp3s.

4. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    get an ipod/any hd mp3 player. they're small, have small power adapters, and you can play mp3s.
    Yeah, but they have shitty seek times and they aren't made to be externals. Yeah, they CAN be, but I wouldn't recommend it. The second post in this thread is the way to go.

5. Laptop hard drives are the way to go if you don't want to deal with power supplies. Get a 2.5" HD and an enclosure. It'll run on USB power so you don't need an outlet for it. It'll cost you more than TrialSword's idea though.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man
    Yeah, but they have shitty seek times and they aren't made to be externals. Yeah, they CAN be, but I wouldn't recommend it. The second post in this thread is the way to go.
    If you want to trust a shitty enclosure. The enclosures with good chipsets still run about $45.

Definatly go with the laptop drive for toting it around

7. Get something by Seagate. They happen to be cheap and rock at the same time.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

Officemax has been putting fairly large external Seagates on sale pretty frequently. You might check the webpage there. Not as cheap as just buying a cheap OEM drive and enclosure, but still pretty cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Enclosures are great. I've been using mine for the past two years and I bought it for 15 bucks. I just have an old 80GB hard drive in it most of the time, but its great cause I'm able to bring my old-ass 8GB drive back to life with it. That hard drive was basically sitting around for four years doing nothing until I got an enclosure.

It does use external power though...

10. I have an enclosure I'm looking to sell if anyone is interested.