Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005FPW MOnitor

1. Most places always get refurbs...of course, they're supposed to fix them before they send em out, but I know better

2. I have a 2001FP and I recommend it. There are a few problems, however, including the aforementioned backlight bleeding. One, there is supposedly a "screen door" effect; however, I personally don't see it. Two, the contrast levels on Dell LCDs isn't so great, so blacks will be more of a dark grey and it would be rather noticeable in games.

3. 2005FPW > 2001FP

4. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot
    Two, the contrast levels on Dell LCDs isn't so great, so blacks will be more of a dark grey and it would be rather noticeable in games.
    You cannot make general statements about Dell LCDs. It all depends on which panel the individual model is using. Less than true blacks is a problem on all LCDs, some panels more than others.

5. 2001FP > scratched up old monitor that's been dying for four years

6. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot
    2001FP > scratched up old monitor that's been dying for four years
    True, which is why Im getting a monitor better than all that.

According to Dell its coming TOMORROW. w00t! Cant wait to try out my games with it. According to Widescreengamingforum Battlefield 2 doesnt even have widescreen support, what a piece of crap.

SimCity 4 is tough to get working in widescreen too.

7. do they need widescreen support if you can just crank a game to the displays native res and beyond, or does that essentially "stretch" the image? it doesn't for the desktop so i wouldn't think it would for a game but aspect ratios always confuse me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    do they need widescreen support if you can just crank a game to the displays native res and beyond, or does that essentially "stretch" the image? it doesn't for the desktop so i wouldn't think it would for a game but aspect ratios always confuse me.
    Yea it stretches it from what I read. The engine needs to be able to expand the field of view to accomodate the aspect ratio. There are hacks and most of them work alright but BF2 is particularly dodgy and EA claims the audience for the game doesnt indicate they want widescreen. WTF? Its like a top of the line game, shit like NFS has it.

Also running BF2 in 1680x1050 would be a tough job for any computer.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 15 Mar 2006 at 04:39 PM.

9. Love the monitor. Tried it with Far Cry, Half-Life 2, and Civ 4. Civ 4 in particular feels like a whole new game with the high resolution and field of view. No ghosting or anything. Backlight bleeding - there is a slight amount but I cant notice it unless I turn off my lights and switch to a black screen. Scales well for games. No complaints whatsoever, worth every penny. Thanks for the help.

10. dammit back up to $500. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external

i wish newegg would hurry up with my fucking return.