Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005FPW MOnitor

1. 2005FPW MOnitor

This monitor is on sale at Dell.com currently for $400. I have a bonus coming to me from work and am thinking about buying it. My current monitor is old, has had a scratch right in the middle for four years, and I think its dying.

Anyway, anybody use the 2005FPW? Any other users of it? How does it work for gaming? Specifically both at the native resolution and how does it work for scaling (I know scaling in desktop is terrible). My computer is no slouch but any info is helpful, thanks.

2. dell are probably the best right now for gaming. you want to make sure you have a card that can run it at the native res or don't bother.

3. Yea I have a 6800GS>.. thats the new shit so it shouldnt be a problem.

4. well somewhat new shit (i have a 6800gt and already feel the pinch). but yeah i've never heard one complaint about that monitor and its nice that it's a 20" widescreen. grab it now because they spiked back to $450 last week. i've seen them get as low as $320 with stackable coupons but those havn't happened for a while.

like any lcd there can be broken pixels but i've heard Dell is really speedy with replacements. in fact i think they send the replacement out before they receive the defect back.

5. I have the 2005fpw (and a 6800GS) and I like the monitor very much. The native res of 1680x1050 is high enough for me, the monitor doesn't really ghost much (I certainly don't notice it though some are sensitive to it) and DVD's look good on it plus its widescreen so thats a plus for me.

The 2005fpw does however have a reputation for having lots of backlight bleeding and unfortunately my monitor suffers from it a bit though its nothing too bad. I think games look excellent on it at every res I use though I must warn you that as usual with lcd's the black levels are not the greatest and couple that with any backlight bleeding you may not be too pleased when playing dark games like Doom 3..etc (if you play that).

I only paid $360 via Dell (with coupons) so for the price I am really happy with it and while its not HDCP capable (that whole Vista-HDCP crap may be an issue for some) I think I'll stick with the monitor for quite awhile.

Hope that helps a bit.

6. The main issue with that monitor is backlight bleeding. Check to see how yours looks when you get it so you can send it back right away if it's extra bad. The panel itself is the same as the 20" apple (which costs double).

7. i forgot about the backlight issue. apparently the 2007? series fix this and should be out shortly if not already.

8. Eh if there is a problem Ill return it. 3 year warranty and all. For $360 + tax I cant afford to wait for the 07.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Eh if there is a problem Ill return it. 3 year warranty and all. For $360 + tax I cant afford to wait for the 07.
    After the first 2 weeks you only get refurbs. Refurbs were most likely all the units that got sent back for backlight bleeding.

10. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    After the first 2 weeks you only get refurbs. Refurbs were most likely all the units that got sent back for backlight bleeding.
    So what? As long as I have a unit that works I dont give a shit.