Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: When the Finchie comes around

1. It's just the backgrounds, though, right?
    Yeah.

2. rock.
    Donk

3. I would like to see a picture of nothing but frogs before I make my final decision.

4. Because the third picture really freakin' sucks. I hate it now. Really...

... My hands hurt, i'm tired, and i hate that fucking grass. I've been trying to get it right for the past three hours. I wish i'd just gone flat, like most of the rest.

I wonder if lindseed oil would help. I'm leaving it alone for now.
    Donk

5. What I meant was, even though simplicity is fine, I couldn't even tell what that blue block in the background was.

I like the new one, but agree that the grass is kinda meh. But the tree <3, and yeah, your use of color is hot.

6. Sorry. I really liked that third picture for a while. Now, i god damn hate it, but i'm keeping it just to remind myself how much it sucks.

When i step back, the grass looks really nice. Someone told me that and now i don't hate it.
    Donk

7. finch, have you had any life drawing classes? i think you could really benefit from them....if you haven't taken them. if you're going for an underground/indy feel then you need to take more from reality...and know how it works in order to stretch and exagerate it. hope i said something helpfull.

8. Ouch. Maybe in a few years i'll be better. I like to think i'm progressing.
    Donk

9. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Not really the colored pencils, just the technique. Really clean looking colored pencil work takes a lot of time, it would be really good to move to watercolor or something like sqoon said just because of that.
    To add to this comment I think you need to take advantage of the medium's strength. Like most professional colored pencil work you see is used like traditonal pencil work, with emphasis on line and lines in shading (using different techniques like crosshatching etc.) Not in the full on coloring in way that you use it. A dry media like pastels or crayons (not the crayola variety) would work better for that, or probabaly better yet a wet media like watercolor, or acrylics. Best of both worlds for you could be watercolor pencils, or mixed media.

Also I think that your style is very Japanese inspired and falls victim to the limitations that come with that. That's okay if that's what you want (it's still not a big hit in the children's book market in America and aside from licensed crap, not really big in Japan either), but I see the potential in your non-humanoid characters to be something different and unique but equally cute.

Your backgrounds suffer from a lack of linear perspective (atmospheric in loss of detail and color shift is fairly well conveyed.) With the limited content everything seems to have the Ukiyo-E floating world feel. Stronger shadow and lighting consideration might help clarify this as would varying line weight. Also consider where objects are in the background/foreground in relation to the subject.

10. Man, i was really being a bitch last night. Sorry rama, it is appreciated. I haven't been getting regular life drawing since school.

To add to this comment I think you need to take advantage of the medium's strength. Like most professional colored pencil work you see is used like traditonal pencil work, with emphasis on line and lines in shading (using different techniques like crosshatching etc.) Not in the full on coloring in way that you use it. A dry media like pastels or crayons (not the crayola variety) would work better for that, or probabaly better yet a wet media like watercolor, or acrylics. Best of both worlds for you could be watercolor pencils, or mixed media.
    I'm very stubborn and i really like to push things the wrong way. I just really like using colored pencils. Mixing colored pencils with linseed oil is a nice technique, that again i haven't used in years. Last time i did that, people thought i was using markers. I really am going to try something else soon.
    Pastels would kick ass, but as of yet, i hate them and i suck at using them. That's a really good consideration, though. They do have the glow. ;| I like to push the shit out of Crayola's, despite them being cheap and unprofessional. The problem with them is you can't mix them and you have to work bigger than i like to make them look nice. I got some nice water colors for my birthday. M0y friends have their ear on the ground or something.

Also I think that your style is very Japanese inspired and falls victim to the limitations that come with that. That's okay if that's what you want (it's still not a big hit in the children's book market in America and aside from licensed crap, not really big in Japan either), but I see the potential in your non-humanoid characters to be something different and unique but equally cute.
    I have been inspired a whole lot by the manga and anime stuff, but that's what i want it to be, just an inspiration. Good manga artists have a style within the style, and that's what i'd like people to recognise in my own work. I like it, and if someone else likes it, i'm happy. Maybe children's book illustration isn't for me, and truthfully, it's not especially what i want to go for. I want to find something that's a good way to apply what i do that will make me enough to get by and a little extra.
    I guess my dream would be for someone to come along and say, "Hey, finchie! Draw us some crazy characters we can use in a game or a cartoon or something!" or maybe, "Hey finchie! Here's some cash so you can work on that comic you're playing with, or hell, we'll make an animated series that you have creative control over." But, ha ha, that's just a dream.

Your backgrounds suffer from a lack of linear perspective (atmospheric in loss of detail and color shift is fairly well conveyed.)
    Another dream of mine is to find my own way for perspecitve. I know linear perspective and how to apply it, i just don't want to. Is that absolutely retarded? I just like the idea that there's something else, like in...

With the limited content everything seems to have the Ukiyo-E floating world feel.
    I really like that. I realise that probably was just a comment and not a compliment, but it's something i've loved since i knew what Ukiyo-E was. So, um... Hooray!

I'll keep saying this; even if it seems like i'm being a bitch, thank you all for the input. It's all helpful. This is what i miss most about college. Stagnation is my worst enemy right now.
    Donk