Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 102022232425262838 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond Good & Evil 2

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You're giving them ideas!
    Says Guillemot: "We had a different audience at that time. We had more core gamers than casual gamers than we have today." Let's not be dense about this -- Beyond Good & Evil was a beloved, abysmal commercial failure that caused the industry to bust a gut whenever a continuation was mentioned. We can hardly begrudge Ubisoft for wanting loads of people to actually buy it this time around. However, it's is a very fine line to walk, and the desires of core and casual gamers don't necessarily agree. Guillemot himself admits that "so many customers were extremely happy with the game," and we can only hope that he doesn't see Fit to pull their pants down just because it'll make the casuals giggle.
    I don't have to give them anything. They have all the ideas already for how to ruin their own franchises.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Like Rayman Raving Rabbids?

BG&E2 has MASSIVE mainstream potential in Europe. It's tailor made for that market. In the US is should do well, but not quite blockbuster since it doesn't quite appeal to kids, and our adults are a little insecure about playing games without angry mans with guns on the cover.

The thing is, BG&E1 actually sold fairly well. That's the part of this equation that people forget. The problem is that is sold well 3 months after launch when it dropped to $20 overnight so Ubi made nothing off it.

But everyone played the fucking game. It's one of the top third-party GC games, it DID reach the mass audience, it just didn't make any money for Ubi because they didn't market it, and shoved it out in November, the most competitive time of the year.

They fucked up. Period. It's not a cult game that like 3 people played, Ubi just canibalized their profits on it and then tried to blame Ancel to save face.
    thought it was clear i was talking about ubisoft, not ancil himself, but ok. could you get me the sales numbers for beyond good and evil? Its heartening to hear that it sold, but the only time i ever saw numbers was in oxbm, and they put the sales at under 20k units for the xbox. hardly official and that was several years ago, and only representing one fourth of the paltforms it came out on, do you have newer numbers? I agree with you that ubi did release bg&e at a bad time, and they dropped the price too soon(or one week too late, i bought it a week before the drop...was worth full price though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

3. I can't find any sales figures right now. I wish the gaming industry were more organized about making that kind of information accessible.

I remember hearing the GC version did like 200,000 or something like that. Which, let's say the other versions did 50,000 combined, and the European numbers were similar would mean it probably did like a half million internationally, which really wouldn't be bad if you were making the extra $30 per copy that Ubi threw away. It also means Ubi basically threw out like $15 million in profits.

Of course I'm just guessing the numbers beyond the GC one, which itself is something I read 3 years ago, so it's just an educated guess, but it seems far from the disaster it gets labeled as.

4. Quote Originally Posted by frostwolf ex View Post
    and they put the sales at under 20k units for the xbox.
    most games that weren't Halo sold like shit on Xbox i would imagine because of the teensy tiny userbase compared to the PS2.

5. Just to put things in perspective here:
    Psychonauts sold 400,000 copies total from Majesco retail versions (meaning excluding Steam and Xbox Originals sales and THQ's PAL versions).

Beyond Good and Evil seems to have sold a lot more than Psychonauts. I know that's hardly hard evidence, but I'm sure everyone here knows a lot more people with BG&E than Psychonauts.

Most games sell 75% of their total sales in the first month. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil were not most games. But their companies lost faith in them too quickly.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Beyond Good and Evil seems to have sold a lot more than Psychonauts. I know that's hardly hard evidence, but I'm sure everyone here knows a lot more people with BG&E than Psychonauts.
    nobody i know has either.

cause they're all GAY

7. im missing psychonauts, and BG&E is still in shrink wrap! Damn my pile-o-shame
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

8. Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    im missing psychonauts, and BG&E is still in shrink wrap! Damn my pile-o-shame
    you're on ignore.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I can't find any sales figures right now. I wish the gaming industry were more organized about making that kind of information accessible.

I remember hearing the GC version did like 200,000 or something like that. Which, let's say the other versions did 50,000 combined, and the European numbers were similar would mean it probably did like a half million internationally, which really wouldn't be bad if you were making the extra $30 per copy that Ubi threw away. It also means Ubi basically threw out like $15 million in profits.

Of course I'm just guessing the numbers beyond the GC one, which itself is something I read 3 years ago, so it's just an educated guess, but it seems far from the disaster it gets labeled as.
    thanks. Im with you in wishing the industry had its act together more.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    im missing psychonauts, and BG&E is still in shrink wrap! Damn my pile-o-shame
    you realise that if you also didnt play okami, i no longer consider you human, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    most games that weren't Halo sold like shit on Xbox i would imagine because of the teensy tiny userbase compared to the PS2.
    i recall fable, kotor and morrowind being major sellers. western rpg's seemed to be the hidden gem of the xbox.
    Last edited by frostwolf ex; 03 Jun 2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

10. Quote Originally Posted by frostwolf ex View Post
    thanks. Im with you in wishing the industry had its act together more.

you realise that if you also didnt play okami, i no longer consider you human, right?
    i played okami

once i beat FF6 ill dive into BG&E
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),