Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigger harddrive and quieter fan

1. Over in Europe, 250gb goes for ~$100, and 300gb for ~$120, so those are your estimations. I guess the prices will be less from Newegg (which is the place you should buy from).

Those two size disks seem the best value, as after 300gb prices start to rise exponentially, and a 200gb isn't much cheaper than a 250gb.
    Depends on what space you need though. If you download a lot, then maybe a larger disk.

Are you sure it's your power supply that is the noisy part?
    Tell me what power it is, and I'll tell you an estimate for a good quality replacement.

Would it be too much work if I was to transfer everything on my 80GB onto my new bigger HD and than use the 80GB to store my files/documents?
    Thing is about your idea there is that 80gb is more than enough for installing applications and OS, and that will be fine for a long time. However, you will easily consume more than 80gb with films, music etc, so you may as well use the new hdd to store all that stuff then you have plenty of space.
    Last edited by Burky; 22 Mar 2006 at 11:04 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    Over in Europe, 250gb goes for ~$100, and 300gb for ~$120, so those are your estimations. I guess the prices will be less from Newegg (which is the place you should buy from).

Those two size disks seem the best value, as after 300gb prices start to rise exponentially, and a 200gb isn't much cheaper than a 250gb.
    Depends on what space you need though. If you download a lot, then maybe a larger disk.
    I see deals online all the time. Anything specific I should look out for such as format or anything like that?

Are you sure it's your power supply that is the noisy part?
    Tell me what power it is, and I'll tell you an estimate for a good quality replacement.
    Is there a way to tell what my power is without having to take my computer out of my pc table and/or taking the cover off? Maybe via computer? Well I emailed my friend uncle and he suggested that I get a ATX 300 watt power supply.

Thing is about your idea there is that 80gb is more than enough for installing applications and OS, and that will be fine for a long time. However, you will easily consume more than 80gb with films, music etc, so you may as well use the new hdd to store all that stuff then you have plenty of space.
    Ah smart idea oh wise one!

3. Originally posted by Bandit
    I see deals online all the time. Anything specific I should look out for such as format or anything like that?
    Get a good brand: Seagate, Western Digital, Hitatchi, Fujitsu are the best brands.
    Maxtor is also good, but I have heard of some issues with their disks, so only go for those if you save a lot of money.

The standard hard disk speed is 7200rpm. The next step up is 10,000rpm, and the prices of those are extortionate, so you want a 7200rpm disk.

Check as to whether your motherboard has SATA or not. If you have a computer more than two years old, I would guess you don't. But best check in case.
    SATA is faster, so if you have it, then get an SATA hard disk.
    If you don't, IDE is the alternative and all computers have that, so you can get one of those instead.

Is there a way to tell what my power is without having to take my computer out of my pc table and/or taking the cover off? Maybe via computer? Well I emailed my friend uncle and he suggested that I get a ATX 300 watt power supply.
    Usually if you take off the side of your case to the left of the front, and look where the power supply is, there should be a label there telling you all the details.
    The information you want is the DC OUTPUT, and if possible the brand name.
    Mine is labelled as follows: DC output: 460W (500W Peak)
    The value which we're interested is the Peak value, as this is what the power supply is labelled as on the box.

Is it your power supply which is noisy? You didn't confirm that before. If it's not, then you're wasting your time getting a new power supply.

Ah smart idea oh wise one!
    lol.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    Get a good brand: Seagate, Western Digital, Hitatchi, Fujitsu are the best brands.
    Maxtor is also good, but I have heard of some issues with their disks, so only go for those if you save a lot of money.

The standard hard disk speed is 7200rpm. The next step up is 10,000rpm, and the prices of those are extortionate, so you want a 7200rpm disk.

Check as to whether your motherboard has SATA or not. If you have a computer more than two years old, I would guess you don't. But best check in case.
    SATA is faster, so if you have it, then get an SATA hard disk.
    If you don't, IDE is the alternative and all computers have that, so you can get one of those instead.
    I'll have to check on that. But good to know

Usually if you take off the side of your case to the left of the front, and look where the power supply is, there should be a label there telling you all the details.
    The information you want is the DC OUTPUT, and if possible the brand name.
    Mine is labelled as follows: DC output: 460W (500W Peak)
    The value which we're interested is the Peak value, as this is what the power supply is labelled as on the box.
    Damn, one thing I didnt want to do. I'll have to unplug everything just to get to it as the computer is inside my computer table.

Is it your power supply which is noisy? You didn't confirm that before. If it's not, then you're wasting your time getting a new power supply.
    I dont know what other fan there is besides the mobo that cools the chip and that little thing cant be loud. I guess its not really annoying but it would be nice to have a quiet room when sleeping rather than hear the fan from the computer.

5. Well make sure you check whether it is your PSU, as it will cost $30-40 for a good 300W power supply, and you don't want to go buying a new one just to find that it wasn't the problem in the first place.

Sorry about having to unplug everything, but there's no point blindly buying things, just too find it wasn't necessary.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    Well make sure you check whether it is your PSU, as it will cost $30-40 for a good 300W power supply, and you don't want to go buying a new one just to find that it wasn't the problem in the first place.

Sorry about having to unplug everything, but there's no point blindly buying things, just too find it wasn't necessary.
    True that.