Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger harddrive and quieter fan

1. Bigger harddrive and quieter fan

OK, right now I have 80GB harddrive on my computer. With my graphic design, programs and files I have been downloading, I think I need a bigger HD. I have an external 80GB that I use to store my movies that I dl. I was wondering, if I was to buy a bigger internal HD, how do I go about transferring all files on my current one to the new one?

Is it an easy process? Mind you, I'm no computer genius and I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hardware stuff.

I used DBAN and wiped out my HP completely. But when I tried to use the system restore disc, the harddisk couldnt be read so I had to format it (which I had never done before).

If not, is it better if I just buy another HD and just add to what I have?

Also, my computer when turned on is a little loud. Its probably the fan. Would any PC fan work. I dont even know how all this works. My PC was custom built.

Sorry for noob and stupid questions.

2. When you buy your new internal disk, you can run it simultaneously with your old one, thus being able to access them both at once. So this way you can easily shuffle your old data onto your new hdd.

If you keep you old hard disk, then you have the advantage that you will not need to reinstall windows, and all your programs, which is always a pain to have to do.

That is very simple to do too. Installing the hard disk takes two minutes, then two clicks and you have transferred all your data.

As for the noisy fan, usually the culprit is the power supply. Check round the back, and see if it's not the power supply's fan which is making all the noise. If it is, and it bothers you, buy a good quality power supply, like OCZ, Fortron, Silverstone. I'll list more if you decide to buy one. You'd be looking to spend $40+ though (depends what power you need, it's more like $70+ if you need 500W)

Case fans only make noise if there is something really close to them which they are blowing onto, so it's unlikely its that. If it is, then just make sure that it's not blowing onto anything, though sucking is ok.

Failing that, huge 120mm fans are great, as they run much slower due to the size, and are completely interchangeable. You normally have 2-4 three-pin adapter on your motherboard which power your fans, including the one on your heatsink, so you can just plug/unplug as many fans as your motherboard can take and it's fine.
    Last edited by Burky; 20 Mar 2006 at 02:41 PM.

3. Thanks. So if I have two HDs, I'll have a drive C: for my original one and another letter drive for the second HD? If I only have the new HD, I'll have to reinstall windows?

I'll have to check the power supply and see what voltage it is (unless its stated on the comp system?). It doesnt really bother me but it would be nice to be sleeping without the sound of the fan.

4. Having two drives is definitely the way to go, especially for graphic design.
    If you set up your virtual memory and swap-files on the secondary drive, it will make loading and caching much faster.

The only thing you need to know about your power supply is whether or not it's standard form factor.
    Companies like Dell and HP often use non-standard power supplies and cases that don't fit properly with standard equipment.
    Just a couple weeks ago I had to swap out the dead power supply in a dell, and the case wouldn't accept a standard power supply. I had to gut the good power supply and put the working parts into the old ones' shell. Not much fun at all. The only other options were to order an overpriced replacement or put the machine into a generic case.
    If it is the power supply fan that is making all the noise, you might be able to clean or replace iit, instead of buying a whole new power supply.

5. Dell is pretty much a piece of shit when it comes to replacing parts. I added an extra hard drive and had to tape it to the old one just because there's no extra space in its super-cramped case.

I'm now fearing my power supply just randomly dying. Gutting a standard power supply sounds like it's the most tedious thing in the world.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Having two drives is definitely the way to go, especially for graphic design.
    If you set up your virtual memory and swap-files on the secondary drive, it will make loading and caching much faster.

The only thing you need to know about your power supply is whether or not it's standard form factor.
    Companies like Dell and HP often use non-standard power supplies and cases that don't fit properly with standard equipment.
    Just a couple weeks ago I had to swap out the dead power supply in a dell, and the case wouldn't accept a standard power supply. I had to gut the good power supply and put the working parts into the old ones' shell. Not much fun at all. The only other options were to order an overpriced replacement or put the machine into a generic case.
    If it is the power supply fan that is making all the noise, you might be able to clean or replace iit, instead of buying a whole new power supply.
    I'll probably just get a second drive. I might have to ask you what you mean by setting up my virtual memory and swapping what files to the secondary drive.

I dont have any Dell, HP, Compaq computers, etc. It was custom built. I'll either ask the guy who built it for me (friends uncle who does IT stuff and has own business in Delaware). If not, maybe I'll have a cousin/friend check it out

7. I think virtual memory is like using your hard drive as ram, though not as effective. I know very little about this, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.
    I have heard of sad (or very enthusiastic people) who devote an entire hard disk of like 300gb to virtual memory.

You control it under the performance settings under system in the control panel.

8. Yeah, virtual memory is just a file on the hard drive where windows caches things to make room in RAM. If your running something that uses a lot of RAM, say Photoshop, and then you minimize it or switch to another app, then windows takes all the data that Photoshop has in RAM and dumps it to the HD to make room for other apps.

Swap files are somewhat similar, but are for specific apps. Again, Photoshop is a good example. It stores things like large clipboard items, photoshop documents(when you have more than one open) and 'undo' data in a a file called a swap file.
    You can set your swap file to any drive, but you get the best performance when it's not on your boot drive (c:).

I would recommend keeping your applications and operating system on the 80GB and putting your swap files, vm, and documents on the new drive.

And since your machine is custom built, you should have no trouble replacing the power supply.

9. I'd recommend getting a friend to help you. This way he can teach you breifly what everything in the computer is, so you'll have the knowledge to play with your computer next time you need.
    Also friends are cheaper than an expert.

Also on the power supply, it's the power and current, not the voltage which you're interested in.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Yeah, virtual memory is just a file on the hard drive where windows caches things to make room in RAM. If your running something that uses a lot of RAM, say Photoshop, and then you minimize it or switch to another app, then windows takes all the data that Photoshop has in RAM and dumps it to the HD to make room for other apps.

Swap files are somewhat similar, but are for specific apps. Again, Photoshop is a good example. It stores things like large clipboard items, photoshop documents(when you have more than one open) and 'undo' data in a a file called a swap file.
    You can set your swap file to any drive, but you get the best performance when it's not on your boot drive (c:).

I would recommend keeping your applications and operating system on the 80GB and putting your swap files, vm, and documents on the new drive.

And since your machine is custom built, you should have no trouble replacing the power supply.
    OK, so its best I leave my app and OS on my c: drive. so all my works, documents and stuff should be stored on my new drive? I know there are different harddrives out there (ATA or whatnot), any preference or anything I should keep an eye out for?

Would it be too much work if I was to transfer everything on my 80GB onto my new bigger HD and than use the 80GB to store my files/documents?

Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    I'd recommend getting a friend to help you. This way he can teach you breifly what everything in the computer is, so you'll have the knowledge to play with your computer next time you need.
    Also friends are cheaper than an expert.

Also on the power supply, it's the power and current, not the voltage which you're interested in.
    Thats what I'll probably do. I dont want to f'up my computer from my stupidity. Need to find out a good price for the HD and power supply as well.