Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Arms 4

1. Wild Arms 4

I saw Wild Arms 4 the other day for $29.99 and I just decided to pick it up on a whim. I really wasn't looking forward to this game, and I wasn't expecting much. I never played Wild Arms 1 & 2, but I had played Wild Arms 3 and I thought it was "Decent".

So anyways, I started playing this game a couple days ago, I am about 9 hours into it, and its a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be....so here are some quick thoughts of the game so far

Some pros of the game thus far:

- The beginning of the game (about the first 2 hours) is very fast paced, which is a welcome change of pace from games like Xenosaga Episode I and Star Ocean 3 which seem to take their sweet ass time getting started.

- The gameplay is phenomenally fun for an RPG. Most of the game is in that 2.5 D Klonoa style, and it actually plays like a platformer...meaning the main character jumps, double jumps, slides, and does the "butt stomp." Basically, the gameplay is really fun if you like games like Klonoa.

- The random battles aren't bad at all, mostly becaue of the new "Hex Battle System" which is really fast, intuitive, and a bit strategic. Also, they don't pop up every two steps like Skies of Arcadia's battles. As a nice bonus, towards the middle of every dungeon you actually have the option to toggle the random battles on and off!! I don't do that, because I want to level up, but its a nice option.

- The game has an actual map! I stopped playing Wild Arms 3 because I didn't like walking around an empty screen and pressing search every step just to find a town. I found it very annoying.

-The graphics are also very well done for a Playstation 2 title. Do not let the generic looking anime art on the front of the box fool you, the game has a very nice style of its own.

Cons of the game:

- The only con I have seen with this game so far, is it has the same generic plotline of the boy saving the world. However, the gameplay in this game is more than enough to make up for the lack luster story so far.

Overall, I think Wild Arms 4 is an excellent game so far. Its actually quickly becoming one of my favorite PS2 games just because its gameplay is refreshing and different...its right up there with Shadow Hearts for me. So, if you like platforming games, and or action RPG's you should check this game out. Its way better than it looks.

2. I'd of kept buying the Wild Arms games if they would've kept the original cast.
    PSN = knarlockk
    Steam= kevinb150

3. Name two RPG series where they've done that. .hack doesn't count, because breaking one game into four parts is cheating.

Lunar had some crossover, but hardly enough to call it a cast reunion. The only one I can think of is Ys.

James

4. Quote Originally Posted by James
    Name two RPG series where they've done that. .hack doesn't count, because breaking one game into four parts is cheating.

Lunar had some crossover, but hardly enough to call it a cast reunion. The only one I can think of is Ys.

James
    The only RPG series I can really think of that has some returning characters is Shadow Hearts, but even that doesn't really count as an entire cast reunion. Plus, not bringing back the cast of characters never hurt the Final Fantasy series...so it shouldn't really be an issue with any RPG.

5. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross?
    All is well.

6. Quote Originally Posted by James
    Name two RPG series where they've done that. .hack doesn't count, because breaking one game into four parts is cheating.

James
    I'm not saying that's the norm. I just really liked the first cast and wanted to see some more of their adventures and stuff. I wish more rpg sequels would keep the same cast.
    PSN = knarlockk
    Steam= kevinb150

7. The problem with that is RPG stories usually revolve around some change to the characters, that they start off either naive or selfish, and become better people by the end, to put it simply. To do a direct sequel means no character arc. It's also hard to justify yet another threat to the world that needs to be solved. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying most game makers would much rather take the easy route.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid
    - The gameplay is phenomenally fun for an RPG. Most of the game is in that 2.5 D Klonoa style, and it actually plays like a platformer...meaning the main character jumps, double jumps, slides, and does the "butt stomp." Basically, the gameplay is really fun if you like games like Klonoa.
    Do you fight enemies in this "action mode" or does always switch to a turn-based battle when fighting?

9. How the hell did I forget Arc the Lad? If anyone wants me I'm going to be googling "senile" on that website that lets you... um... that finding place...

Mmm... cheese!

James

10. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid
    - The game has an actual map! I stopped playing Wild Arms 3 because I didn't like walking around an empty screen and pressing search every step just to find a town. I found it very annoying.
    That sounds really gay. I didnt know Wild Arms 3 did that.