Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's Anime

1. I liked the new one when I watched it (cool music as well), but I doubt that I would now. I used to like the newer aesthetic over the, what I thought, chunky 80s stuff. But I didn't really notice the loss of detail. I've tried watching the original BGC a couple times, but all I can remember seeing is the first episode

2. I dig the chunkyness of the 80's stuff! It's kind of its own thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Alright, since they're both pretty short OVAs I think I'll do Gunbuster and give BGC another go.

I still don't know what longer series I should watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    Part of me wants to watch through Macross again and follow up wit DYRL (which I haven't seen) and the rest of its offshoots that are worth watching. But I don't know if I want to dedicate that much time to something that I've basically already seen. I don't know how much Minmei I can handle. I keep thinking about that stretch where Rick (or whatever his name is *checks* Hikaru) and Minmei are stuck in the bowels of the ship like a desert island and cringe a little. Sitting through episodes like that make me not care enough to go back.

I have a few friends watching Gurren Lagan right now and they all seem pretty happy with it, but I'm more interested in watching something older. Something about the animation in contemporary anime bugs me--I think it's the CG.
    The original Macross has a different feel to it than the Robotech version. The original voices for minmei and lisa completely change their character. Minmeis is much more sweet and naive and Lisa's sounds 10 years younger and more assertive (and less motherly).

I don't really remember why, but I recall the original being more mature. It might be because Macross dwells less on the technology than on Rick growing up and dealing with his perspective on life changing. Or it might be something as simple as orginal music having a retro 70s orchestrated feel to it. Also, the original show is much less prowar. It is more like "war pretty much sucks, but we all deal with it the best we can."

Not a lot to say about DYRL other than it looks freaking amazing for the time it came out. The detail they crammed in is insane. If you go back and watch any of it, watch this.

Macross seven is, eh, I don't even know. It feels like 90% filler to me. It is just a different beast compared to everything else Macross out there. It gave me a bad early 90s girl anime vibe.

Oh, here is the max/miria dog fight from DYRL if you want an example of how amazing it looks

Yeller, did they ever make this into a show?

7. I think I'll just wait to see it in context.

I need to go back and finish Dancougar. It was Combiner anime. It approached the genre half way realistic. The combiner team were all military personal and the robots can actually take damage.

and it doesn't get more 80s than this

oh then there is Riding Bean

9. Is Riding Bean some sort of Gunsmith Cats spinoff? I've always had a soft spot for Gunsmith Cats.

from web

Riding Bean was followed up by the anime series Gunsmith Cats, which focuses on Rally and her bounty-hunting partners. More accurately, Riding Bean is essentially the Pilot episode for Gunsmith Cats.

Riding Bean, it is rumored, was to have been the first in an anime series by of same name. However, Sonoda had a fallout with Toshiba EMI over the series (rumored to have been mostly on the part of Toshiba EMI), and thus the series ended with only one "episode." Toshiba EMI retained the rights to the series, and Sonoda was forced to abandon a direct port of the franchise to what became Gunsmith Cats, which seems to be a sort of prequel to Riding Bean. Again, as is self evident, characters and concepts were ported over and a new plot was devised.

* In Gunsmith Cats, Rally is a dark-haired, dusky-skinned woman who works as a bounty hunter (and gunsmith, hence the name). She usually works on the opposite side of the law as Bean, but considers him a friend. In one story, she races against Bean to get him to stop working for drug dealers. Rally's signature car in GSC is the 1967 Shelby Cobra GT500 used by Percy.

* Bean's custom car is named 'Buff the Roadbuster.'

* Semmerling seems to be the prototype of Rally's manga arch-nemesis, Goldie Musou, a powerful Mafia Queen who has an entire harem of drug-controlled young girls.