Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's Anime

1. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Nah. Both are actually really well done as far as being pretty touching experiences as far as romance goes. There's some overboard humor here and there, but these are definitely made with the male in mind (read: not shoujo/girl type).

In fact, the first episodes of KOR are pretty badass in the Sukeban type stuff (schoolgirl gang/delinquent type stuff). Madoka is a badass.

Great, guess I'll be getting my hands on this series soon then. Any others?
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

2. Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    Great, guess I'll be getting my hands on this series soon then. Any others?
    Make sure you get the KOR TV series and not the OVAs or New Kimagure Orange Road movie. They are fine, but you really want to watch the tv series before any of that.

Urusei Yatsura is another, though it's aged a LOT. Still funny though and Lum is still hot. But there's soooo many episodes, like Dragon Ball proportions... Definitely check out Maison Ikkoku and KOR though.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water started in 1990 but is obviously a holdover from the 80's. The first half is incredible. The story is loosely based on Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. I haven't gotten to see the second half of the series yet, where the anime apparently kind of goes off course and loses its quality, but get the first boxset and see if you like it enough to check out the second. Because it starts off seriously damn good.

The Dirty Pair movie boxset and OVA boxset have recently been released. If you like Cowboy Bebop you'll probably enjoy these.

The original Bubblegum Crisis boxset released by animeigo is really good. It's a helluva lot darker than I thought it would be. Definitely in the vein of Blade Runner.

City Hunter is supposed to be a good police action series, but I haven't seen it. I would like to though.

Last edited by Scourge; 21 Mar 2006 at 02:38 PM.

3. I'm not sure all of these are from the eighties, but they all have the eighties/early nineties style. I would recommend:

Aura Battler Dunbine
    Dagger of Kamui
    Venus Wars
    Eight Man After
    3x3 Eyes (well, nineties I think, but the first OVAs definitely have the eighties anime look)
    Yotoden
    Cagliostro was seventies or eighties, but that's like mandatory viewing for anime fans.
    Crusher Joe ain't bad. It's like Dirty Pair in being super 80s anime stereotypical, but I liked it. (Lisshen, emergenies 'ur called emergencies *hic* because theyemergewithurgency)
    Project A-ko movies
    Dominion Tank Police

Gall Force wasn't bad, but I'm not sure I'd pay to watch them. Maybe if all of it came in one set for less than thirty bucks like Crusher Joe.
    Hades Project Zeorymer
    Legend of the Moby Dick. Pretty sure it's nineties but it's got an eighties vibe.
    Heroic Legend of Arlislan
    Record of Lodoss War OVAs
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Iria: Zeiram the animation

I'd say check out Aura Battler if you liked Zeta Gundam. It's my favorite Tomino. Venus Wars is about my favorite high-action generic eighties movie. Crusher Joe is cheap and good, same with Dominion Tank Police. 3x3 Eyes is one of my favorite anime.

4. Excellent, thanks for the list guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Make sure you get the KOR TV series and not the OVAs or New Kimagure Orange Road movie. They are fine, but you really want to watch the tv series before any of that.

Urusei Yatsura is another, though it's aged a LOT. Still funny though and Lum is still hot. But there's soooo many episodes, like Dragon Ball proportions... Definitely check out Maison Ikkoku and KOR though.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water started in 1990 but is obviously a holdover from the 80's. The first half is incredible. The story is loosely based on Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. I haven't gotten to see the second half of the series yet, where the anime apparently kind of goes off course and loses its quality, but get the first boxset and see if you like it enough to check out the second. Because it starts off seriously damn good.

The Dirty Pair movie boxset and OVA boxset have recently been released. If you like Cowboy Bebop you'll probably enjoy these.

The original Bubblegum Crisis boxset released by animeigo is really good. It's a helluva lot darker than I thought it would be. Definitely in the vein of Blade Runner.

City Hunter is supposed to be a good police action series, but I haven't seen it. I would like to though.

I've only seen the City Hunter movie. I didn't realise it was based off a series. Definatly gotta see that.

5. You can get ALL of nadia for like $30 now, it's super cheap.

6. Castle of Cagliostro came out in '79, but definitely doesn't look like it.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

7. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    You can get ALL of nadia for like $30 now, it's super cheap.
    Believe it or not, I actually already own it via the internet, but I was relectant to watch it. Now that it has high recomendation especially for the first season, I want to check it out.

8. Yeah, Nadia is available in two packs for about 30 bucks each. Unfortunately the desert island episodes are the hugest train wreck I've ever seen, completely killing the momentum of the series. I mean..one of the desert island episodes was like a shitty american cartoon in animation quality. Then they go to a short stint in africa that's meh, then they rush and complete the series, although, thankfully the ending is pretty good. Best thing about it is that it proves once and for all that Sanson is a pimp. Talk about robbing the cradle.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 21 Mar 2006 at 03:01 PM.

9. I have totally been meaning to check out Irresponsible Captain Tylor for the last 10 years. That show started in 1993 btw.
    Last edited by Scourge; 21 Mar 2006 at 03:31 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    I have totally been meaning to check out Irresponsible Captain Tylor for the last 10 years. That show started in 1993 btw.
    There are new boxsets out of it. They're tiny and packed with features.

But, yeah. Tiny. It's like they used jewel cases for it instead of DVD cases.