Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's Anime

1. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    There are new boxsets out of it. They're tiny and packed with features.

But, yeah. Tiny. It's like they used jewel cases for it instead of DVD cases.
    I checked out the ultra collection boxset on deepdiscountdvd.com and it's only $55 there so I might order it soon.

2. Thumbs Up

Everything Scourge mentioned get a big thumbs up!

Also worth checking out:

Urusei Yatsura Movies and OVAs
    Gunbuster (the original)
    Dominion Tank Police
    Dangaio (the original)
    The Guyver
    Riding Bean
    Vampire Princess Miyu

Man I miss old anime. Some of the new stuff nowadays can be just too flashy...

3. Am i blind, or did no one mention the 1980 Astro Boy series? It's silly, but it's entertaining anyway.

I second the Maison Ikkoku recomendation. I love the manga, but the little i've seen of the TV series is good too.

3x3 Eyes is 91-95, but, yeah, you can pretend it's '80's for the first half. Sucks that Dark Horse discontinued the manga.

There's also Cat's Eye from '83, which was never brought to the US, but could probably be found pretty easily translated. The first episode is awful, and the whole series is pretty campy, but it's awesome at the same time. It's one of my favorite anime series. The original manga was by the same guy who created City Hunter. It was supposedly huge when it was released, and i still see the occasional manga reference here in our land of 23 years later.

This whole thread makes me happy.
    Donk

4. Ah yes "The Guyver". I never finished watching the seriess, but even though the dubing sucks at times, its still a very intresting/ fun anime to watch. Gotta get that.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

5. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    I checked out the ultra collection boxset on deepdiscountdvd.com and it's only $55 there so I might order it soon.
    Holy fucktonic... Suncoast had it for $100.

6. I remember watching a couple of different anime series that were set in old England.

Sorta like Ashita No Nadja.

Anyone have any in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

7. Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Not 80's, but YES YES YES. My favorite anime ever. Just make sure to get the TV series, not the OAVs.

Otaku no Video is also 16 different shades of awesome.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 22 Mar 2006 at 08:52 AM.

8. I'll vote for Nadia it's awesome. Apperently what happened was it was doing so well that the tv station running it asked Gainax to do nine more episodes and those are the Island episodes. Otherwise it's a great series.

I love BubbleGum Crisis. To bad the orignal series never got an ending.

9. I liked Nadia a lot, but it would have been better if Nadia wasn't such a horrible flaming bitch all the time.

10. I keep meaning to pick up the Saint Seiya collection:

The second set is supposed to be released in April:

Each set contains 30 eps. $33 for the first one on deepdiscountdvd.com!

Also would like to have the Ronin Warriors (Samurai Troopers) complete collection, but I think it's out of print:

You can still get the individual discs though.