Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Awarded $1 Million After Co-Worker Put Noose On Neck

1. Man Awarded $1 Million After Co-Worker Put Noose On Neck

CONROE, Texas -- A man was awarded a million dollar settlement after his co-worker put a noose around his neck and choked him in the company bathroom, officials told KPRC-TV in Houston on Tuesday.

Charles Hickman worked at CCSI, Commercial Coating Services Inc., near Conroe in Montgomery County in 2002.

He sued his former employer for racial discrimination and harassment after verbal harassment turned into physical abuse in one of the company's restrooms.

Hickman said the harassment culminated in October 2002 when a white colleague placed a noose around his neck in a bathroom and began choking him while co-workers watched.

Hickman said he lost consciousness briefly before his boss intervened.

"I never did get, 'I'm sorry Mr. Hickman -- what that guy ever did to you.' I never got that," Hickman said. "I was scared. I thought I wasn't going to be here today talking to you."

The company agreed to a settlement of more than $1 million and will pay Hickman's medical bills. It will also place a marker on the premises indicating that Hickman was a dedicated employee.

"Without a doubt, in the 16 years that I've been practicing, this is the worst case of discrimination I've ever seen," said Rudy Sustaita, an attorney with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Sustaita said that prior to the attack, managers at CCSI did not stop employees from harassing Hickman after complaints were filed.

The EEOC said changes would also come with the settlement.

"They're going to train their employees. They're going to let them know that this sort of behavior is not the sort of thing that is acceptable," Sustaita said.

Hickman started working at CCSI in March 2002 through a job with a temporary agency. Five months later, he was made a fulltime employee as a sandblaster. He quit in October after the alleged incident.

Hickman said he stayed on the job despite the harassment and discrimination to support his wife and five children.

"There is no dollar figure, whatever, that can justify what happened because I'm mentally scarred," Hickman said.

The company, which is under new management, did not comment about the settlement. It agreed to work with the EEOC to overhaul its hiring and employment practices. At the time of the attack, Hickman was the only Black employee of the company. That has since changed.

The coworker accused of putting the noose around Hickman's neck pleaded guilty of a class A misdemeanor assault. He served a 270-day sentence and was fined $100 for court costs.

http://www.nbc30.com/money/8208096/detail.html

"There is no dollar figure, whatever, that can justify what happened because I'm mentally scarred," Hickman said.
    1 million would be fine for me :thumb:
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

2. "They're going to train their employees. They're going to let them know that this sort of behavior is not the sort of thing that is acceptable," Sustaita said.

people need to be fucking TRAINED to know this shit? good god darwin, work faster.

3. I don't believe this. I have it on good authority that racism doesn't exist anymore.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers
    I don't believe this. I have it on good authority that racism doesn't exist anymore.
    No, it still exists, just the practitioners are getting dumber.

The company agreed to a settlement of more than $1 million and will pay Hickman's medical bills. It will also place a marker on the premises indicating that Hickman was a dedicated employee.
    I get the 1 Mil. This guy deserves it. But why would the guy even want his name anywhere near the building?

5. Yeah, I don't get the plaque either. I normally hate stupid lawsuits, but any guy putting up with shit like that to 'support his family' deserves enough money to not have to worry about getting stuck in fucked up jobs like that for a while. I wouldn't want any lasting affiliation with that place, though.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    I get the 1 Mil. This guy deserves it.
    How the fuck does he deserve it?

7. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    How the fuck does he deserve it?
    Yeah! He could have recieved more.

We've seen far less severe cases getting the plaintiff tons of money. This guy's life was threatend and the company did nothing about it. It's a slap on the wrist, for said company.

8. The guy got his ass beat. Big shit.

By this logic I can ask a co-worker to call me nigger on monday. Then tuesday kick my ass. WIll I get a mil. by thursday?

9. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    The guy got his ass beat. Big shit.

By this logic I can ask a co-worker to call me nigger on monday. Then tuesday kick my ass. WIll I get a mil. by thursday?

What would have happened to the guy, if the boss didn't intervene? Would we instead have read a headline about some guy that was killed in the workplace? The guy was a victim of hate crime and the company did nothing to stop it. They needed something like this as a wake up call.

10. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    going by your logic, you deserve to have a hate crime commited against you (and you won't even have to ask).

going by a non-retarded person's logic, you deserve to have a hate crime commited against you.