Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphic Design Discussion and Questions

1. Graphic Design Discussion and Questions

Okay, I just had this huge thing typed up on this topic, but I accidenaly reloaded the fucking page and I have to start over. Cliff's Notes:

• My design teacher either hates me or is really wants me to do better. Tells me I should get used to retail, that I'm not doing anything he tells me to, assumes he knows everything about me and tries to tell me I'm not learning or trying anything on purpose, etc, etc and so on.
    • He's absolutely obsessed with David Carson as if he's the only style of design out there. Everything he does and wants us to do looks exactly like what Carson does.
    •Fact: Many people on here are graphic designers. To you I pose this question: Is he right? I see this messy, crazy style as much different than anything I've ever worked with. I can say for certain that I'm not a fan of a lot of what he does, especially with a lot of the illegible fonts and white on white. I guess I just don't see it. But, even when I just say something like, "Well, it's different from what I'm used to..." he interrupts with, "It's design" and walks away.
    Am I missing the big picture or is there more to design than just this one guy?

NB: My teacher's obviously got talent or he wouldn't be there. He's got some awards or something that he keeps talking about, too. Someone out there likes what he does even if I don't. I just want to hear some opinions from someone in the field besides him.

Man, your career choice sucks.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

3. I like it. S'what I enjoy. I just wish I could get some non-snide answers from people.

4. I'm a drawing teacher. I'll admit to not knowing shit. I could praise a single artist like he or she is a god and list off some stupid awards i won too. I could also tell all of my students they suck. But i don't. Maybe that's why they don't show up to class and finish projects late.
    I suck at teaching, but your teacher's just a douche.

PS, show your stuff. We won't steal it, and if anyone does we'll kill them for you.
    Donk

5. You're teacher's probably right.

Maybe not always, but as long as it relates to his class you're best off assuming that he is.

6. When someone tells you to get used to retail, you should kick him or her in the balls.
    Donk

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap
    You're teacher's probably right.

Maybe not always, but as long as it relates to his class you're best off assuming that he is.
    That's what I always assumed. It's more difficult now though.
    I've also got another teacher that likes what I do with layouts, design-wise. This is one of the teachers that he said wouldn't like what I do.
    The whole thing just leaves me confused.
    Hence, this thread. Hell, this is even a step in the direction of some of the "advice" he's been giving me (I only use quotes because most of them are in the form of insults or rants). I was going to wait until this art foundations program I'm in was finished so I have a better understanding of art as a whole before I delved any deeper into the specifics. He says I should've been looking for jobs and asking advice all along. So, here I am. Next up, to get a job without a degree.

8. well, i don't think you can just get design advice from this one guy. or...you shouldn't. do you look at any design magazines or books? there's a lot you can learn from just taking in other kinds of design in general. i think it's pretty wrong of your teacher to just be on one guys nuts all the time. though, i'm sure there is something there that you can learn from....or even appreciate on some level.

9. I think you want to think you're bad. Or you just don't think what i say is worth considering.
    Last edited by Finch; 28 Mar 2006 at 12:27 AM.
    Donk

10. Quote Originally Posted by rama
    well, i don't think you can just get design advice from this one guy. or...you shouldn't. do you look at any design magazines or books? there's a lot you can learn from just taking in other kinds of design in general. i think it's pretty wrong of your teacher to just be on one guys nuts all the time. though, i'm sure there is something there that you can learn from....or even appreciate on some level.
    That's what I've been trying to do. Checking out design magazines is one thing he suggested (which, my floor is littered with the fucking things now), but still I am badgered.
    ...and part of the reason for this thread is getting a better perspective on the art, honestly. Advice and criticism are two things I'll never turn away. Bullying and insults are something I've taken since grammar school from people my own age. I won't have it now from a teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch
    I think you want to think you're bad. Or you just don't think i say is worth considering.
    Pork, eh?