Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Board Games?

1. Yeah, I'd love to see that. Also, a MTG set (which will never happen).
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

2. MTG has been dying a slow death for several years now, WOTC would be wise to cross-promote it via HeroScape.

3. MTG isn't mainstream enough for Heroscape. I don't know how well MTG has been doing in the greater marketplace but I wonder how long it can keep going.

4. It'll probably enjoy mild success indefinitely based on brand recognition but it's never going to dominate the industry again the way it did in the 90's. It got stagnant and many longtime players were alienated by greedy new rules that essentially obsoleted every previous set with each new release. Upper Deck owns the market now with Marvel Vs., Yugio, and the World of Warcraft CCG.

5. Uh, fail. Marvel, Wow, and Yugi are shit. No one plays them (I worked at a store that couldn't move this stuff for free).

CCGs as a whole don't have long legs, except, of course, for MTG. Yeah, it won't ever regain its heydey (much of which was b/c it was new and the 90's speculator market) but it has lasted into 2008 when it looked like it was dead in '01.

6. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    Uh, fail. Marvel, Wow, and Yugi are shit. No one plays them (I worked at a store that couldn't move this stuff for free).
    Vs. is actually a really good game, Yugi and Wow are shit. All three sell phenomenally well overall though (your local store notwithstanding) and have given Upper Deck the #1 slot in the CCG industry.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    It'll probably enjoy mild success indefinitely based on brand recognition but it's never going to dominate the industry again the way it did in the 90's. It got stagnant and many longtime players were alienated by greedy new rules that essentially obsoleted every previous set with each new release. Upper Deck owns the market now with Marvel Vs., Yugio, and the World of Warcraft CCG.
    lol oh yea?

I'd like to see some financial and tournament numbers to back this up please.

re: heroscape - buy whatever figure packs you like, make sure to pick up the one that has the trees/bridge, I also liked the ice terrain pack because you can use the glacier stuff to make neat maps.

Avoid the custom figs, and uhm, that's about it.

Also, pick up a pack of these guys:

GORRLLANATORS! HALF GORILLA HALF ROBOT!

And if you really want to nerd out swing by: http://heroscapers.com/
    Last edited by Kidnemo; 20 Mar 2008 at 09:47 AM.

8. I got Pandemic! It kind of rules. The whole cooperative "players vs. the board" thing is very different from the stuff we usually play, and though I prefer games where you compete directly, it's a lot of fun to do something else every now and then. Drafting some rules for competitive play and creating new cards to go with it would probably be nerdier than I'm willing to be right now, but that could be awesome also.

Also played some Hive which is way fun!

Another fun game where everyone works together is Hoopla. It's a party game by the makers of Cranium, and it's kind of similar, except everyone at the party is working together to beat the clock, so no feelings are hurt. It's great. Competitive games at parties aren't always the best thing.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    How the hell does one play "Go"?
    I don't get it myself. But I gotta say, the TV announcers when they air games make is sound like the most exciting thing in the history of man.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.