Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Board Games?

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    So Starcraft came in yesterday and we played it this afternoon. It kicks ass. If you and your friends enjoy strategic board games and dig SC (or even have played it at all, at least) you will love this.
    There's a Starcraft board game?! SWEET. Bring it to the NYC meetup plz.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. I've been wanting to check out the Starcraft game, nice to hear that it's quality. Fantasy Flight has been making some incredible board games lately. I played the Doom boardgame last week and it was awesome. Another board game I really want to check out is Last Night On Earth:

It's essentially a board game version of zombie B movies. One player controls the zombie hoards and the other players control stereotypical townsfolk (sheriff, slut, quarterback, pizza boy, etc.)

3. I picked up a complete Axis & Allies (2nd edition) at a yard sale for $3 this weekend, looking forward to playing it since I never have.

Also picked up this futuristic football game called Battle Ball at a thrift store for a dollar. I couldn't pass up something that combines my love of sports and 20-sided die.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

4. BattleBall is the shit! Cyborg death football with D&D dice (including a football shaped D6).

5. I've recently played Pandemic and Last Night on Earth, both were very cool games. Though it would nice to have more people to play with then just two, I think Last Night would be a lot of fun with a group of friends.

As for my favorites I like Apples to Apples and Guillotine.

Guillotine is pretty awesome, it a card game were the goal is to get the most points by beheading French Nobles. It's a pretty simple game but takes good strategy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guillotine.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	34630  

6. I love A&A, but I've never played a game that lasted less than 6 hours.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I love A&A, but I've never played a game that lasted less than 6 hours.
    That's what I was thinking when I was reading through the manual. Are the games shorter when you're just playing with 2 people? I really want to try it out with 4-5 but I'm not even sure I could get that many people who would want to play it in the first place.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

8. For new players, plenty of the game's length comes from set-up and learning how the game works.

After you've got it down, set-up and play move fast enough. I think most games should really only take 4 hours tops, if you've got experienced players.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

most a and a games I've played lasted around 4 hours, but yeah we had memorized the setup.

If we didn't have the time to finish we created a table of countries and units similar to the setup charts and just marked off what was where, then packed it up and set it up again later. It's actually really simple to do that, just takes a few minutes to set the template up in excel and then you just print off a stack and keep them in the box.

Thing is, if you're really good as the allied player, the game will last a long time. The allies win by attrition, since they outproduce the axis, they have to limit the axis's growth so they continue to outproduce them, and then slowly whittle them down really, unless the axis player gives something up.

I once was involved in a stalemate match where two capitals had changed hands and no one could do anything with russia. The production was about even and it just didn't go anywhere for hours until I started gambling on tech and won on heavy bombers.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 10 May 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

10. cribbage is awesome! but i guess thats a card game not necessarily a board game.

anne and i used to constantly play "even elephants forget" when we were kids. everything about that game ruled except the foliage. but that still kind of ruled
    Wear more flannel.