Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Board Games?

1. I bought the Marvel set hoping they'd release more characters for it. I've seen it clearanced out everywhere, so I doubt that will happen now.

2. There was a prototype list at some con or something that had:

Beast
    Black Panther
    Punisher
    Doc Ock
    Sandman
    Bullseye
    Super Skrull
    and the Fantastic Four
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

3. Fun Fact: The only person I have ever lost at Risk to is my father. And that was when I was 9, and I'm pretty sure he was cheating.

BRING IT.

4. Being "good" at Risk means getting lucky w/all the rolls. It's craps for kids; a strategy game it ain't.

5. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    Being "good" at Risk means getting lucky w/all the rolls. It's craps for kids; a strategy game it ain't.
    I'm unbeatable at Monopoly!

6. Bumpity bump.

So I'm seriously considering getting the core books for...*ulp*...D&D.

I hear 4th Edition is easier for casual players to get into and doesn't have all the "roll to see if your character can turn his head to the left" junk. And it seems like it'd be fun, what with all the creating your own character stuff and running around in your own special world.

I'm a little leery that I won't be able to round up enough players to get games going. And I'm not going to play a game that will become a chore.

TNL's thoughts on D/D? Fun? Boring? Worth a shot or no?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    TNL's thoughts on D/D?

8. Impeccable timing as always, Josh.

Here's my lifetime experience with any pen&paper RPG, D&D or otherwise:

100 books come out in which there are 100000 rules which apply to how the game is played and what you do, and none of it matters in the slightest because nobody you play the game with remembers them or wants to enforce them.

On the first game session you spend three hours creating a character where you reroll stats until it strikes a balance between making a character that isn't totally worthless and one which isn't more powerful than everyone else's character - the latter of which you'll be informed of immediately because everyone else will whine if you start out better than they do and demand to remake their own character. Then after everyone's character is created the GM and the players realize that they have other shit to do for the day and call the session off. That's Day 1.

The next session, the players try to do everything they can do exploit the GM's lack of knowledge of how the game functions (usually by contstantly trying to do things which they know are illegal according to the books but they want to see if they can get away with it) or his inability to spontaneously come up with a compelling narrative of whatever the hell the game's about. If any player is able to get away with too much bullshit the game grinds to a halt while the other players complain about not being afforded their own illegal liberties. After a few hours of this, the players and GM get frustrated and make an excuse to end the session. That's Day 2.

Day 3 is scheduled two weeks ahead of Day 2, then is pushed back another week, then another two weeks after that, then some other game comes out and the campaign is dropped, rendering all that time spent on character creation and becoming acquainted with the $40 rule book and whatever else you bought completely worthless.