Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Board Games?

Settlers of Catan really is awesome. So is Scrabble of course, and Stratego is awesome for two players.

Some other games I really enjoy:

Eurorails (it goes fast with two people who know what they're doing, and it tends to get intense without being too competitive as it's almost as if you're each playing your own game in a race.) There are lots of other versions of this game, including one in a fantasy setting, but the Europe map is my favourite.

Axis and Allies is another one I really like. Turn-based strategy that plays different a lot of the time. It's not too deep or too hard to learn, but it can take a while to play, so don't get it unless you don't mind leaving it set up. This is like the next step up from Risk, and it's a LOT more fun. Supremely fun to formulate different strategies, and with house rules it gets even better. The expansions/new takes on the game don't work so well, though.

The Cranium games are great for parties, (not dorky parties!) especially Hoopla because it involves everyone working together instead of pitted against each other. The gameplay reminds me a bit of Taboo, another favourite, but Hoopla might be more fun.

If your friend group is dorkier, I have to reiterate...definitely DEFINITELY play Settlers of Catan. and grabbing the expansions makes it even better. Combining Settlers with Cities and Knights of Cataan and Seafarers of Cataan makes for a longer game, but it's freaking sweet. Otherwise get Cities and Knights of Catan if you like the original and you're going to expand at all.

Axis and Allies focuses more on strategy than Risk, but Diplomacy really takes the "Argue/fuck over your friends" aspect of Risk to the next level. This game is all about it, so if that's what you like, try this one out. Try not to play this one with someone who has played before, because the way they "teach" you is just to kick your ass until you figure out what is going on.

If your friends are math-minded pick up Acquire, and then ask me how we changed the rules to make it much more fun.

Those are my absolute favourites, but a couple more:

Zombies!!! is fun but can take FOREVER. There's some classic horror humour on the cards, and if you play with a group that's into that kind of thing it can be very fun. Not much skill involved though, so if you're looking for something competitive don't pick this up.

Two collectable-ish games I like are Munchkin, which you've probably heard of, and the numerous different decks you can buy for that, and most recently...

Pirates of the Spanish Main. It's a little expensive to collect these but the game is super-duper fun, and having a fleet of miniature boats sailing around your table rocks. If you're interested in pirating, watch the rules animations. They're done in a pirate accent.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. Most of my friends play chess and risk, but usually play cards instead.

I like other kinds of games, not board games exactly, stuff like crossfire or hungry hungry hippo.
    I played jenga at a friends house a couple of months ago, which isn't too bad when you're drinking. Some of the pieces fell in the salsa. LOL

3. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    lol

I've seen this played b/4 and I really like the look of the board. How long to play/how much strategy is needed? I hate games where it all comes down to the luck of the *cough*Risk*cough* dice.

Jenga is incredible while drunk. I confrim this.
    Couple of old-ass kiddy games that rule completely:

Key to the Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    The Omega Virus <--This one talks to you, and it's much more sophisticated than Electronic Talking Battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach
    lol

I've seen this played b/4 and I really like the look of the board. How long to play/how much strategy is needed? I hate games where it all comes down to the luck of the *cough*Risk*cough* dice.
    Well with this game it's less "luck of the dice" and instead follows the Magic: The Gathering rule of "he who spends the most usually wins." The ships have point costs though, so if you set a point limit on fleets you can have equal battles, but still if one guy has a lot of "super rares" it's not really fair.

Other than that it's very good. There's an emphasis on strategy over luck but you can sometimes win by just flying in guns blazing. Most of the strategy comes in assembling your fleet out of all your cards and then playing to your fleet's strength. You can make a powerhouse fleet, a treasure runner fleet, or fleets that are built around special abilities. Pretty much the same kind of thrill as assembling a Magic deck, but it's much more fun to play than Magic in my opinion. I mean come on...Pirates!

The length of the game depends entirely on how many ships you put in the game. It can take under an hour with a couple ships, or maybe three if you have six or seven. One fun way to play is to take all the gold out and just fire away at each other, last man standing wins. That doesn't take long at all.

As to the board....you'd have to make that yourself. You just play it on a table and throw down little plastic punch-out cards to represent islands and stuff. Or you could probably go to a local game store, they usually have scenery built.

And yeah, Risk sucks. Axis and Allies is TONS better. I'LL SHUT UP NOW.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 28 Mar 2006 at 06:26 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

5. I've always been down with board/card/rpg/mini games, but lately with us not playing WoW, we've been filling our free time with lotsa games.

If you are down with the boardgames, you need to roll up on this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com

As for games I've been playing lately:

Heroscape - A more casual tabletop miniature game that uses a neat clickable tile system to create 3D battlegrounds. Lots of fun, been playing it a lot.

Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation - A slick game similar to Stratego (but not horrible)

Warmachine - Number 1 steam punk miniature game. The alternative to the Games Workshop stuff, which I no longer play, and will never purchase any of their stuff again *shakes fist*

I'm also looking into picking up Blue Moon, Dungeoneer, and Nexus Ops soon. All slick looking games that I've heard great stuff about. Look them up on boardgamegeek if you wanna learn more.

I really wanted to like Pirates, the minis are awesome...too bad the rules are wack.

The rules are alright, but my roommate won't play it because it's not "Realistic" enough. Thing is, just like Magic again, they're not really written super-clearly. If you do a little futzing around with them you can make it work.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    Heroscape - A more casual tabletop miniature game that uses a neat clickable tile system to create 3D battlegrounds. Lots of fun, been playing it a lot.

This looks totally sweet. Can you get larger boards so that more than 4 players can participate?

LOL at the chair.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

8. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach
    This looks totally sweet. Can you get larger boards so that more than 4 players can participate?

LOL at the chair.
    Yep.

They sell a main set, which has a ton of board peices and a bunch of different guys squads. You can easily play up to four players with this. If you get into it, they sell "expansion packs" which have more terrain or guys. it's all modular, so you can have all types of board configurations.

What's nice is its not collectable, so you buy the guys you want and you're good to go.

Oh yea, and re: Korly and Talisman. I still have my original Talisman game which we played tons when I was a younger. Lots of Heroquest as well.
    Last edited by Kidnemo; 28 Mar 2006 at 07:08 PM.

9. Any ever heard or played a game called Advanced Third Reich?
    My freind had a ton of old board games laying around and decided to try this one out. the damn thing takes about an hour to set up all the pieces and get your shit together to begin. If you like that planning stratigic type of game, this game may be for you. Has a rule book about as thick as the bible almost.

10. My friends used to be big into Scene it, but we grew tired of it once we started to see the same questions cycle over and over again. The game we are currently into is Pictionary, which is fun as hell, can be extremely hilarious, depending on the person's artistic ability.