Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Board Games?

1. -Fireball Island was the baddest game on the block. Especially when we used to make our own rules for it.
    -Fantasy Forest, a true classic.
    -Life, because the board was awesome.
    -The Original Scooby Doo board game with the pop up board. It had trap doors and crap that actually slid your game piece under the board.

Sadly I dont have any of these games any more.
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series

2. Dreamcast

I'm working p/t at a card shop while on the job hunt and they've got Star Wars miniatures for sale. So, naturally, I picked up the starter set. Haven't gotten to play yet (Saturday!) but anybody else into this? It looks like a dumbed-down (read: less time consuming) version of D&D (basically combat only).
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

3. Quote Originally Posted by Destro777
    -Fireball Island was the baddest game on the block. Especially when we used to make our own rules for it.
    LOL

I just saw something about this at the boardgamegeek and remembered I have it somewhere still. It sells for like a hundred bucks on ebay now, which is crazy, and I look forward to selling mine.

4. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Boardgamegeek.com
    300: The Board Game is a fast and exciting way for 2-4 players to recreate the Battle of Thermopylae as depicted in Frank Miller's epic film. In the 2 player version, one player controls the Spartans and the other player controls the Persians. In the 3 player game, 2 players compete for the most Glory as the Spartans, and in a 4 player game, 2 players also compete as the Persians for the most Spartan kills.

At the start of the game, the battle forces (represented by round cardboard Units) are already lined up and ready to fight at the border of the Hot Gates. Each time a Persian Unit dies, the Spartans score Glory Points on the Glory Track that surrounds the board. Spartan Units die permanently, while most defeated Persian Units can enter the game again as reinforcements.

The Object of the Game for the Spartans is to score 100 Glory (or 50 Glory if there are 2 Spartan players). The Object of the Game for the Persians is to wipe out the Spartans before they can achieve their Glory, or to delay the Spartans long enough for Ephialtes to reach the end of the Goat Path (6 rounds of play). If there are 2 Persian Players, then the player with the most Spartan kills wins this game.

The game uses cards and dice to simulate the action from the film. Spartan Heroes include Leonidas, Stelios, the Captain, Dilios, and Astinos. Persian Leaders include Xerxes, the Uber Immortal, and the Persian Generals. Each card simulates the action associated with a quote from the film, such as "I Would Gladly Kill My Own Men For Victory" (Persian) and "Tonight We Dine In Hell!" (Spartan).

The game plays quickly (20 - 30 minutes), and is meant to be a fast diversion with a good share of both tactics and luck.
    One of the most fun aspects of the game are all the cool quotes on the cards. Plays really quick which is nice. Plus, it gets the feel of the movie down perfectly - it's very bloody!

Plans are to purchase Heroscape and give it a go.

Anybody else tried something new lately?
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

5. I read about this "black-ops" version of Risk recently. I am so fucking fascinated by this.

The card game "Lunch Money" has been hours of fun, though no board is involved.
    The art on the cards are dark, somewhat Gothic photographic images by Andrew Yates, usually accompanied by humorous quotes pertaining to the card's name. In the game, players control a character (originally all females) with fifteen "health" points, and draw a hand of five cards. The players take turns playing cards to "attack" other players, who try to block, dodge, and counterattack the attacker. When the defender is done responding, he or she takes any applicable damage, and both players then redraw their hands to five cards, passing the turn to the next player. When a player loses her health points she passes out. The last one "conscious" wins the game.
    It is a memorable game. http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1100.php
    Last edited by YellerDog; 11 Mar 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Did somebody say my name?

That 300 game sounds fairly interesting, but the theme does nothing for me so interest is pretty low over here. Things we've been playing lately:

Risk 2210 AD
    Love it! I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to regular Risk. It's so delightfully future-y. Lots of new factors to think about, and when the nuclear and water commanders come into play, shit gets crazy in a hurry.

MidEvil
    On the surface it looks to be nothing but Zombies! set in an Evil Dead-esque world, but it plays fairly differently in practice. Pretty cool stuff, but I'm not sure if I like it as much as the game it was spun off of yet.

Chess and Go are still always fun too.

Not so much a board game, but my friends are in to Hecatomb now and since dead and unpopular CCGs are dirt cheap to get into, I might be following. Looks pretty cool. Unique card shape, Lovecraft themes and gameplay that seems pretty similar to Magic.

And no, despite what I said earlier in thread, I never did get into Heroscape. I still kind of want to.
    Last edited by Grave; 11 Mar 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: clarifying shit

7. Man. I need to harass some work people into throwing in for that version of Risk. Sounds awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    The card game "Lunch Money" has been hours of fun, though no board is involved.http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1100.php
    As far as card games go, Fluxx is hands down the best. Spodaddy mentioned this way back in the thread, but I thought I'd say it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FluxxCardGame.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	32740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluxxeco_fluxx.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	32741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluxxfamily3817.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	32742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluxxLAB001-FL-200.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	32743  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluxxstoner.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	32744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluxxzombiesatthewindow.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	32745  

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Man. I need to harass some work people into throwing in for that version of Risk. Sounds awesome!
    I'd tell you to come play with us, but last time we played somebody took a shit in a pizza box and we left it at the bus stop. Our game nights are very special.

10. The other weekend, we played this game called Meuterer, with an internet printout of fan-translated instructions.

That game freakin rocked.