Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oblivion Tweaks/Mods/Etc.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    Did you sort of gloss over the mods section?

And while the 360 version of Oblivion is damn impressive, the PC will always get the best version possible, given enough time.
    I'm cranky and half asleep. I'm glossing over much right now.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    I'm sure this is helpful information and all but....

*points and laughs*
    Lol @ PC gaming.

It's just too damn expensive.

And before 20 people jump down my throat with "PC gaming isn't expensive anymore. For the low, low price of only $900 + monitor you can cobble together a system capable of playing most modern games at a respectable 15 fps with half of the textures still turned on" let me say I'm not talking about the cost of the hardware. I'm talking about paying for the 3 years of dental school and 2 years post-doc engineering study you need to figure out how the hell you hack the ROM of the buffernoid ZRAM shader co-prossessing filter to enter the 278 settings you need to make the game run at optimum performance.
    it runs pretty well at launch really, auto configures for a solid framerate and any changes you want to experement with involve you opening the options menue and clicking some clearly marked graphical options. and most mods require you to move a few folders and click a box...im confident that with just a few people helping you, you too can do this, i believe in you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

Uninstalling KLite codec pack worked wonders for my game! I was freezing at least once or twice every time i played. Too bad I'm not really interested in the game anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

4. And before 20 people jump down my throat with "PC gaming isn't expensive anymore. For the low, low price of only $900 + monitor you can cobble together a system capable of playing most modern games at a respectable 15 fps with half of the textures still turned on" let me say I'm not talking about the cost of the hardware. I'm talking about paying for the 3 years of dental school and 2 years post-doc engineering study you need to figure out how the hell you hack the ROM of the buffernoid ZRAM shader co-prossessing filter to enter the 278 settings you need to make the game run at optimum performance.
    As said, Oblivion runs pretty well right out of the box. So do about a million other PC games. They run at the optimum performance given the hardware, according to the developers. Fact remains, if you don't agree with the developers, the options are there. If you wanted to turn off HDR in the 360 version of Oblivion to try to get a more consistant framerate, too bad. You can't. Of course, you could just take the PC version and play it out of the box and be happy with it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    And before 20 people jump down my throat with "PC gaming isn't expensive anymore. For the low, low price of only $900 + monitor you can cobble together a system capable of playing most modern games at a respectable 15 fps with half of the textures still turned on" let me say I'm not talking about the cost of the hardware. I'm talking about paying for the 3 years of dental school and 2 years post-doc engineering study you need to figure out how the hell you hack the ROM of the buffernoid ZRAM shader co-prossessing filter to enter the 278 settings you need to make the game run at optimum performance.
    For $900 you will get a system which plays Obivion at medium settings with decent, consistant frames per second. If you aren't getting that then you are buying your computer/parts from the wrong store.
    Well sure, it's expensive. But look at it from another point of view. You want a computer anyway, right, and one which is quite fast because it's nice to have it like that. So if you spend another $300 on a decent graphics card to turn your regular computer into a gaming machine after, then it's not that much money, and is equivalent in price to a console.
    And Oblivion on full settings is good.

6. Here is a great texture mod that I recommend. It adds some high res textures to the game but understand that it could add a performance hit. I have no issues with it performance wise but those with lower end pc's should still check it out and see if its ok for them.

Qarl's Texture Mod 2

I also recommend the Natural Environments mod for nicer skies, weather and to see the occasional bird flying in the sky..etc.

If your pc can handle it also give a look at Illumination Within which adds lights to windows in towns at night.

Those mods along with the distance texture fixes and other tweaks found in this nice Oblivion tweak guide and you'll have Oblivion looking better than ever.
    Last edited by raystorm; 14 Jun 2006 at 07:18 PM.

7. Very nice!

p.s. The middle two links don't work. Here: Natural Environments and Illumination Within.

8. Thanks for the heads up. For some reason the links were "cache" links by Firefox (or maybe the site??). I edited my post to fix the links.