Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TNL Comic / Manga Club: Spider-Man: The Other

1. I got my books in the mail today and I'm going to try to read through the series this weekend.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

2. I just finished up reading the rest of this and besides the pretty art from 'Ringo and Deodato I really didn't like it. It felt less like Spider-man than the clone saga did. I understand that they want to shake up the status quo but the whole cosmic spider god nonsense is just not Spider-man. JMS jumped the shark when he had Gwen Stacey banging Norman Osborn, now he's practically made Spider-man unrecognizable to old Spidey fans. This really is the second clone saga (the original being why I stopped reading comics in the 90s) and the sooner it's retconned out of existence the sooner Spidey will be readable again.

3. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    I'm going to pick some of this up this weekend when I go looking for the other issues of Brit.
    I checked my store we have the single issues number 2 (that's what you want not a tbp? right?). It's 5.00 but I get 15% off so it would be 4.25 plus a couple of bucks to shipping. PM if you are intrested.

4. The trade is coming out this week which collects all the chapters in one book, I think it'll read much much better that way since it's equal to just reading all the individual issues in one shot. I'm thinking about buying it myself and personally I really loved the event barring some of the weird Hudlin issues.

The mystical aspect of the spider choosing Peter instead of it being a random accident to me makes the character more special and unique since the process he underwent is harder to replicate and you can still say that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider. I also think that the mystical aspect makes Spidey's origins much deeper and interesting mixed in with the scientific.

5. I disagree... I like the 'everyman' concept. Magical spider = bullshit, I think.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Will
    The trade is coming out this week which collects all the chapters in one book
    When, and do we have an MSRP?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    When, and do we have an MSRP?
    Comes out on the 19th and the price will be $29.99, here's Marvel's link. I think it collects the sketchbook stuff too that was released prior to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog
    I disagree... I like the 'everyman' concept. Magical spider = bullshit, I think.
    Yeah I'm not expecting everyone to like the concept so it's really depends on the person. Personally, I still think he maintains the "everyman" aspect of himself since he reacts as incredulous to being chosen as anyone else as well as continuing to be the same guy we've all known over the years. Some people think that it was better when JMS kept the mystical aspects vague such as in Coming Home and Books of Ezekiel but I thought that it was a great progression into the Spidey of today.
    Last edited by Will; 17 Apr 2006 at 04:12 PM.

8. Yeah, he still kinda acts like he always did, and he's bewildered by the changes. Will is right, it's not for everybody, but I enjoyed it.

9. Chux, are you looking forward to "What if? Spider-man: the Other"? Hopefully it will turnout better than what if Avengers: Disassembled.

EDIT: Well it didn't. It was stupid. The only thing I kind of liked was a certain parallel to Ultimate Spider-man at the end with Gwen Stacey corpse Carnage.
    Last edited by Jester; 16 Nov 2006 at 04:09 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    EDIT: Well it didn't. It was stupid. The only thing I kind of liked was a certain parallel to Ultimate Spider-man at the end with Gwen Stacey corpse Carnage.
    Yeah I didn't buy it but I did enjoy the similar horror overtones that happened during The Other but obviously since it's a What If universe, went down a darker path.
    Last edited by Will; 16 Nov 2006 at 10:40 PM.