Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

The North American ship date is April 17 for both the PC and Xbox versions. I figured I would start the thread now to build anticipation. The first game was great and this looks to be the big title for graphic adventure fans for 2006. Who's interested?

2. I'm definitely picking this one up. I've never played the first game but I have a soft sport for graphic adventure games. Hopefully the release price will be around $20-30.

3. Wow, didn't realize this was coming out so soon. This is one of the games I'm really looking forward to this year. I should come clean though, and admit to never finishing The Longest Journey. There are many, many things to love about it, but I lost a save file over halfway in, and there's just so much talking in the game I could never get back into it. I should really try again before this game hits.

4. The first is my favorite hand-drawn adventure game OAT. And by a wide margin. The voice actress for April was divine. Hope she reprises.

Little scared of the action elements in this follow-up but still pretty damn excited over-all. That Ragnar guy is quite the visionary, not to mention an all-around interesting fellow, at least in interviews.
    Last edited by Compass; 30 Mar 2006 at 11:56 PM.

Here's a new Ragnar interview that talks about various things. It's a good read.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20...odard_01.shtml

After watching the videos at IGN I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of facial expressions as they make the talking parts look very odd and robotic. They could have avoided that by not going so close up with the camera. The combat doesn't look that great either. Still, aside from those aspects I expect the overall game to be excellent.

6. Goddamn, I know TNL hates PC games, but even console ports of sequels to STELLAR PC games get the cold shoulder?

Well, I read the interview. The "we're hell-bent on making this game appeal to the maximum number of people, therefore, we must include combat and sneaking sections" attitude really rubs me the wrong way. And this nonsense about adventures being "dead". Just calm down. Companies like DreamCatcher and The Adventure Company have been thriving for years, releasing the vast majority of their games in this "dead" genre.

And damn, Ragnar looks like he's 18.

p.s. Still really looking forward to this. Running around as April again might even make me misty-eyed. I freakin' adored The Longest Journey.

7. Running around as April, just like in the good old days...snapping necks.

Also, stealth can be super annoying in these types of games. I like stealth-centered games, but when stealth sequences are just quick little interjections they usually suck ass. And I agree about the stony faces and combat looking crappy.

And yet, I am still hopeful. Sounds like a lot went into this game.

8. I've never played The Longest Journey, but I'm all over this.

9. I think this game looks interesting. I never played the first, but I'll probably buy this.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Salsashark
    Running around as April, just like in the good old days...snapping necks.
    Haha.

And I agree about the stealth thing whole-heartedly.

Splinter Cell and Thief =

Stealth elements in damn-near every action/adventure game post-MGS =