Thread: Wireless internet questions

1. Wireless internet questions

So I'm finally going to break down and get wireless internet access in this house but I know absolutely nothing when it comes to this shit.

Right now we're on DSL and the router is hooked up in the basement with hubs in his and my rooms. I really not even exactly sure what I need. I've been looking around and there's wireless access points & routers. Do I need one or both?

For the time being it will only be used for my DS, my bro's PSP and possibly a laptop down the road. I'd also like to be able to use it all over the house, what are the range on these things? Any recommendations on what I should pick up?
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

2. I dont know much either when it comes to computer themselves. But isnt Wireless Access Points associated with routers? Routers is the hardware itself and AP just connections?

Anywho, all you need is a wireless router. Since you said that you have your DSL connected in the basement, I dont think you'll get much of a reception/connection if you're upstairs and the router is in the basement. To get a better connection, you'll need it in the middle of the house or somewhere near that. I think with it being in the basement, the reception is isolated. If you need to have it in the basement, you'll either need a stronger antenna (sold separately) or a repeater which acts as a base to help send out signals even further.

Me personally, I have the wireless access upstairs in my room. Anyone whos upstairs gets the signal fine and over 60%. If I was to go downstairs to the living/dining room, signal drops to about 20-30%.

But get the wireless router and see how much of a signal you get upstairs.
    Last edited by bandit; 03 Apr 2006 at 11:02 AM.

3. Ppppsh. We have a $20 Best Buy sale D-link wireless router in our basement, and it sends an acceptable signal (60% or higher) to the second floor of the house, way above it and through lots of nasty interference. We got one of those cheap $15 USB antenna things since my dad's computer (2nd story) is inside a cabinet and wasn't getting much. We have four computers on wireless (one Mac, all different brand wireless cards), and it's good for other laptop/DS/PSP connections and shit. It's not expensive to get a good wireless setup going. Granted, I've no experience with DSL, we're on cable 500 speed here.

But yeah, cheap D-link stuff has never failed us yet. Just go talk to the guys at Best Buy, they usually know their shit.

4. Just need a wireless router and a wireless adapter for each of the computers that you want to be wireless. The instructions it comes with will tell you how to set it up. Wasn't difficult when I did it (I'm using linksys).