Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple allows M$ Windoze (ROFL) on their machines

1. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Plus, you know... some people out there like Apple hardware but want to use Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple will now sell at least a modest amount of machines to people who never would have purchased one before because they are Windows-only people. (And if those people do buy, they'll try out OSX because it's there, and they might change their mind.) I know there is a decent amount of Linux people out there who but Apple laptops specifically with the intent of installing Linux on it and using only that.
    i'm thinking of getting one since I'm in the graphic field and this would be handy for me to take my work/projects with me home. one problem though. PRICE! Its freaking over $2,000 for a MacBook. If it wasnt so expensive, I would get it. I might have to drive down to Delaware just to get the MacBook if I needed it. I'll just use my student discount and pay for it with no tax..I dont mind the driving. The price of gas and my time is alot cheaper then paying 8.625% tax on a $2000 item.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    They really don't. They make average, but grossly overpriced systems. Say what you will about pricewatch boxes, you get a better computer for less money that way.
    They make overpriced systems compared to what you can build, just like Dell, HP, and so on make overpriced systems compared to what you can build. Ever compared Apple's prices to companies like Dell and so on? Go on, do it.

As much as the "build it yourself" people like to talk about how much computers costs, most people don't want to or care about building their own machines. They want to go out and buy a machine that just works out of the box. Thus, Apple isn't competing with the DIT market.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    i'm thinking of getting one since I'm in the graphic field and this would be handy for me to take my work/projects with me home. one problem though. PRICE! Its freaking over $2,000 for a MacBook. If it wasnt so expensive, I would get it. I might have to drive down to Delaware just to get the MacBook if I needed it. I'll just use my student discount and pay for it with no tax..I dont mind the driving. The price of gas and my time is alot cheaper then paying 8.625% tax on a $2000 item.
    How are the prices for Windows-based Intel Core Duo laptops? Honest question, not being a smart ass.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. People who won't buy a Mac just because it can't play all the latest PC games now have no reason not to get one.
    There's still the price thing. That's pretty much the main thing holding me back at this point.

How are Macs when it comes to shit like re-using cases/power supplies and getting new processors and stuff, though? I've been able to be an absolute cheapass with my PC while still getting a ton out of it power-wise, but if I can do that on a Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    Nuendo is for Mac also. As a matter of fact, Nuendo 1 if, if I recall correctly, was released as Mac only, pending the Windows port.
    Nuendo for Windows is free.

5. An Intel-based iBook is only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

6. benchmarks will be really interesting now that they can run the same bench from the same environment.

If i could get OSX on my PC i would be much more interested in that than Windows on a Mac.

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    They make overpriced systems compared to what you can build, just like Dell, HP, and so on make overpriced systems compared to what you can build. Ever compared Apple's prices to companies like Dell and so on? Go on, do it.

As much as the "build it yourself" people like to talk about how much computers costs, most people don't want to or care about building their own machines. They want to go out and buy a machine that just works out of the box. Thus, Apple isn't competing with the DIT market.

How are the prices for Windows-based Intel Core Duo laptops? Honest question, not being a smart ass.
    Dell has some Core Duo laptops for well under 1,000.

And they're 1.66ghz with less ram and crappy integrated video, right?
    I took all your French Toast.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    They're not in the business of supporting 6000 pieces of hardware and the near infinite combinations therein. They make beautiful hardware and write beautiful software to use on it.
    I understand the trade-off, but if they ever want to expand beyond their current slice of the market (and maybe they don't?) it'd be the way to go. A good compromise would be licensing to maybe a few other hardware makers. The competition would lower consumer entrance prices, and they could make some of their hardware-side loss back on the license fees.

This in turn would encourage more OSX-specific software support as the platform grows in popularity. Of course, I realize there are probably many Mac users who like the "exclusivity" thing. But I think people under estimate Apple's ability to shift to more of a software-based (while still making their own systems with a lower profit margin) company. If OSX really is that much better it could/would stand up to Windows, and Apple could charge slightly more for their systems by offering better support, and "Apple-styled" hardware. Meanwhile, they also get a cut of the budget-brand licensee who in turn helps get their OS into a different market.

It's a win-win situation that strengthens the Mac brand and helps give consumers a viable alternative to Windows.

10. A good compromise would be licensing to maybe a few other hardware makers.
    They tried that. 10-15 years ago. They got their clock cleaned and nearly went bankrupt. That's when Jobs came back to straighten it out.

Apple is making plenty of money nowadays and making more every quarter. Such a radical shift in strategy (that has failed before, mind you) would be foolish just so HardOCP kidz can run Mac OS X.