Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple allows M$ Windoze (ROFL) on their machines

1. Apple stock rose 10% after this announcement yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

2. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I think Microsoft owns a part of Apple, actually.
    They have a small interest in them (or did last time I checked) but honestly, don't they have interest in EVERY company?!

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    And one of the first things Jobs did when he got in (after getting rid of all those fucking Mac clone boxes)
    "All those Mac clones"? What, the "Daystar Genesis" and the "PowerTower"? Did they actually sell those things anywhere, cause I don't remember seeing them at retail. Or maybe they were sold only through Apple resellers? That's another thing that they've done right in recent years, getting a better retail presence.

Anything Apple could do to "dethrone" Microsoft, a 5% marketshare taking on a 95%, has been invented by, well, Microsoft when they took down Palm, Netscape, Borland, Lotus, etc.
    Palm's demise was partly their own fault, they took way too long to implement WiFi support - and when they did release an SDIO 802.11 card it only supported the latest hardware. Their plan for Palm loyalists to run out and buy the latest device failed, as many of them jumped to shiny new Pocket PC devices. And the proliferation of IE was due simply to it being included by default in Windows. As for the others, well I know Lotus Notes blows.......

Stop talking this foolishness.
    As a computer buyer I'd REALLY like to see Apple (or anyone else) take on the market dominance of Microsoft. I think Apple would be best suited for this, but it obviously is risky. However Apple Mac users getting excited over being able to run Windows makes a blatant statement about how the OS is lacking in certain areas. I'd like to see that change, lower Mac hardware prices and more choices would facilitate that I believe.

3. Quote Originally Posted by sphere79
    As a computer buyer I'd REALLY like to see Apple (or anyone else) take on the market dominance of Microsoft. I think Apple would be best suited for this, but it obviously is risky. However Apple Mac users getting excited over being able to run Windows makes a blatant statement about how the OS is lacking in certain areas. I'd like to see that change, lower Mac hardware prices and more choices would facilitate that I believe.
    Only reason is because there are programs users would like to play or use but is only supported on a PC. With Windows on a Apple Mac, this allow those Apple users to not only keep their Mac but be able to use programs without having to buy another hardware. So the only lacking in certain areas is the support from software.

I for one would love to see lower hardware prices. $2000 for a laptop is too much for me right now.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    So the only lacking in certain areas is the support from software.
    It's all relative: More hardware choices means competition (even if it is sort of artificial and controlled by Apple) and in turn lower prices. The more Mac boxes there are, the more software development there'll be. As market share grows, big software makers will either have to release Mac versions of apps or lose alot of potential customers.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sphere79
    It's all relative: More hardware choices means competition (even if it is sort of artificial and controlled by Apple) and in turn lower prices. The more Mac boxes there are, the more software development there'll be. As market share grows, big software makers will either have to release Mac versions of apps or lose alot of potential customers.
    I can understand if Apple was new to the market and is establishing a name for themselves in the market but they're not new. They have been here probably longer then I have been alive. Granted that PCs are all over the place due to ease or what not and the support.

If companies developed software for Macs, people wouldnt have to opt only for PCs just to get that specific software and Macs would have even more of a marketshare.

But with the Boot Camp, this will definitely get alot more sales for Apple. I know I'm one.

Now I'm considering if I should get the new MacBook or get the Powerbook. I assume the Powerbook will be phased out slowly? How long do you think before its completely phased out?

6. Why would the powerbook be phased out? The Powerbook is Apple's bread and butter. If anything the Intel chipset will help Powerbook sales.

I'd actually like to see the opposite. Apple software on PC's, Apple's OS is still more stable than anything M$ creates for the PC. As long as you're PC has a dos undercurrent ... crashes and freezes will remain.
    Last edited by Advocate05; 06 Apr 2006 at 02:40 PM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. MacBookPro is the new Powerbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate05
    Why would the powerbook be phased out? The Powerbook is Apple's bread and butter. If anything the Intel chipset will help Powerbook sales.

I'd actually like to see the opposite. Apple software on PC's, Apple's OS is still more stable than anything M$ creates for the PC. As long as you're PC has a dos undercurrent ... crashes and freezes will remain.
    XP has no DOS/16-bit code running as an "undercurrent" whatsoever.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate05
    Get Linux noob

10. Well shit, now I will have to get an Intel Mac. Where the hell is the Intel iBook? Apple doesn't offer a student discount on the Mac Book Pro, and there isn't any of that promised affordable portable Intel Mac yet. Better come out before fall (and I better come up with some lol Apple rape dollars).

Still, cool news. Didn't see anything about it around the Mac sites by way of rumor, which surprised me a little. Usually stuff like this gets leaked well in advance.