Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Apple allows M$ Windoze (ROFL) on their machines

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi

It's so sad that Windows web browsers, in a virtualization program running under OSX, are still faster than native OSX browsers.
    Yeah Hopefully that'll change soon, though.
    I took all your French Toast.

2. I'm the proud new owner of a 15" 2Ghz MacBook Pro. After watching that video, I will be using Parallel's software. Now I no longer have to turn on my noisy ass PC for anything except playing games.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    Yeah Hopefully that'll change soon, though.
    I've heard that, for whatever reason, browsers are already running better on Intel-based Macs, but I haven't really been able to test that for myself. Whatever need to happen needs to happen, though, because Mac browsers are embarrassing.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. After using Safari on this all day, I'm very satisfied. As fast as using Firefox on my PC.

In fact, my school's online class software (heavy on Java) loads 10x faster in Safari than it does in Firefox.

Last edited by Schlep; 09 Apr 2006 at 12:34 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    It's there now, but I am entirely not crazy about it showing up as nothing before. I had people in IRC confirm this, because I thought it was maybe a browser error on my end. It's back at a good $200 off now, I have no idea what was going on when I was looking last week.
    If I was to buy it here in NYC, the discount is nothing. Its pratically just the tax. I still end up paying $2000. I might have to resort to driving to Delaware to avoid the tax.

6. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Instead of trying to create something better, they're content in just being a copy of Windows. The *NIX folk like to bitch that a pretty interface doesn't matter, but it DOES.?
    Not only Windows! When I ran Linux, I used WindowMaker, which is a nice copy of NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. Imagine my delight when my next computer was a PowerBook G3, and OS X landed a few months later... and I was running the real next generation NeXTSTEP.

I find the simpler window managers for Linux are still better. All of them, even KDE and GNOME, seem really offputting for casual Windows users. From my experience in trying to get people to learn new things, I find that if it's not Windows, they'll immediately reject it, even if it's easy to learn quickly. Using the Windows theme might make them feel a bit more adjusted, even if many things are different. I wouldn't mind to play around with the new BeOS for a while, Be had a nice interface.

Having trouble forming coherent thoughts at this early hour in the morning. Might revise this for clarity later on. Need sleep.

7. Arstechnica reviewed Parallels, and it's something of a mixed bag.

Pros

Fast and overall responsiveness in OSes is very good
    Clean, unobtrusive interface
    Seamless networking with no configuration needed
    Additional tools for Windows make file sharing and mouse movement better
    Disk image compacting tool saves hard drive space
    Very good application compatibility for software within client OSes
    Runs multiple instances of the application to use more than one core/CPU when running two or more client VMs
    Connect image option is a time and disk saver for downloaded installers
    Well priced, even at US$80

Cons

Not suitable for games or complex 3-D modeling applications
    Limited USB hardware support
    No option to use more than a single CPU core
    Can't burn DVDs and CDs within VMs
    Improved mouse movement driver for Windows VMs only

Still, not bad for a 1.0 release.