Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple allows M$ Windoze (ROFL) on their machines

1. Apple allows M$ Windoze (ROFL) on their machines

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/te...rtner=homepage

Now you'll be able to get a Mac that can play all the PC games well, thus removing the only thing keeping a guy like me from getting a Mac (since Mac OS X is far superior to Windows in... everything else).

Discuss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/te...rtner=homepage

Now you'll be able to get a Mac that can play all the PC games well, thus removing the only thing keeping a guy like me from getting a Mac (since Mac OS X is far superior to Windows in... everything else).

Discuss.
    Write down the date and time, I agree with you.

3. At least it will be easier for me to get programs until I'm able to afford them

So... if the great thing about Macs is OSX then why would you want to run XP on it?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    So... if the great thing about Macs is OSX then why would you want to run XP on it?
    I'll give you a number of examples.

Let's say you work in an office where they only allow Windows. You could have a Mac laptop, take it to work, boot into Windows, and do your job. Take it home, switch back to OSX that you love.

For everything that OSX has, it sucks for gaming. People who won't buy a Mac just because it can't play all the latest PC games now have no reason not to get one. Use Mac OSX for all your typical computer usage, switch to Windows to play games.

Testing. For example, when I make websites, there's no easy way on my Mac to test the site to see how it'll work in IE on Windows. With this, I can now do one machine to do all of my testing instead of two.

Some apps are just never going to come to OSX, because the market is so small compared to Windows. Things like AutoCAD and other specialty apps, or all of those fun homebrew apps. Again, you could now use them on one computer instead of two.

I think OSX is, absolutely, a better OS than Windows. But every OS out there has its strengths and weaknesses. This isn't saying that OSX isn't good enough, this is saying that there are a few times when you might need Windoes over OSX for a certain task, and now you can have Windows without having two machines.

Plus, you know... some people out there like Apple hardware but want to use Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple will now sell at least a modest amount of machines to people who never would have purchased one before because they are Windows-only people. (And if those people do buy, they'll try out OSX because it's there, and they might change their mind.) I know there is a decent amount of Linux people out there who but Apple laptops specifically with the intent of installing Linux on it and using only that.
    Last edited by mollipen; 05 Apr 2006 at 01:20 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I would use Mac OS X for mIRC, PHP/finishing my website software (LOL), surfing TNL, sending email, paying bills, whatever, and then switch to Windows to play Oblivion, BF2, HL2, whatever.

It really is perfect.

Truth be told if I had an intel mac I'd boot into windows and run Nuendo2 and use its sexy, sexy VSTi's.

I didn't even think of dual booting.

8. apples site http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

free download.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Josh

Quote Originally Posted by NY Times Article
    Many personal computer users have been reluctant to switch to Apple, because they cannot use software that is written to run exclusively on the Windows operating system, said Charles Wolf, a veteran technology industry analyst at Needham & Company. By making it easy for users to run Windows software on its machine, Apple has taken away "one of the most significant barriers to switching," he said.

But anyway, this should be great news for Mac users and will hopefully end much of the nerd-tastic Mac vs. Windows debates.

10. Now if only Apple would release OSX for standard x86 boxes (like they should have along time ago), maybe those of us who like to build their own system would have options beyond Linux/Windows/etc. And their marketshare might actually be bigger to boot.......