Thread: Pelican Component Switch

Pelican Component Switch

I finally got a TV that supports component inputs (still analog, not HDTV) and I did some searching and there were a few threads about the Pelican System Selector Pro that everyone seemed to like. The only downside seemed to be that it was $100. I can't actually find it now, but ebay has some listings for what appears to be the same thing, but the average price seems to be about $30:

http://search.ebay.com/pelican-syste...Z1QQsofocusZbs

So my question is this: Is this the same device people were raving about a while back or is it a newer cheaper version that I should avoid? It seems even on ebay there are a few variations, but that seems to be mostly cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I finally got a TV that supports component inputs (still analog, not HDTV) and I did some searching and there were a few threads about the Pelican System Selector Pro that everyone seemed to like. The only downside seemed to be that it was $100. I can't actually find it now, but ebay has some listings for what appears to be the same thing, but the average price seems to be about $30:

http://search.ebay.com/pelican-syste...Z1QQsofocusZbs

So my question is this: Is this the same device people were raving about a while back or is it a newer cheaper version that I should avoid? It seems even on ebay there are a few variations, but that seems to be mostly cosmetic.
    Not sure about the price differentiation, but a good component switcher will run you near the $100 mark. If something costs $30, caveat emptor.

A few years ago, I purchased a JVC JX S111 Component Switcher for around $90 and it came with three component inputs and two S-Video inputs. It works very well with no loss of quality.

However, JVC recently came out with the JVC JX-66 3-to-1 Component Video A/V Switcher, a smaller unit that handles just three component inputs. That might be up your alley, and you can get it via the Amazon/TNL Store for $50 with Super Saver Shipping (no direct link to the product in the TNL Store, but just copy and paste what I put in bold and select Electronics in the drop-down menu when you reach the TNL Store.)

If you need a component switcher that can also switch 5.1 surround sound, consider the pricier Audio Authority 1154A. The best is that it automatically switches to the channel whose device is in use.
    Last edited by Cowdisease; 20 Oct 2006 at 02:59 PM.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    . . . no direct link to the product in the TNL Store . . .
    It's http://astore.amazon.com/thenextleve...010970-8606522. Just copy the shortcut after right-clicking the link in the search results.

And thanks for doing that. I really do appreciate it.

4. I have the Pelican Selector Pro, and it's jesus mode for $30. That's what I paid for mine (Used)

Yeah, I did some checking, and that is the same one that was $100 a couple of years ago. They are selling cheaper these days only because the System Selector Pro 2 is out now, and it has a remote control. Although it seems the original unit is actually better quality. I'll be ordering one of these tomorrow then. Weee! Now I just have to get some Xbox and PS2 component cables.

6. I have one and that is indeed the original model that they don't make/sell anymore. The thing is awesome and I paid 80 or 90 bucks for it new and it's been worth it. I actually want a System Selector 2.0 also because I need about 7 -8 S-video connections right now I'm running all my S-Video stuff through a pelican regular A/V selector and a GS branded A/V selector, would be happier if I could bring that down to one.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

I got the switch today, thought I would post my impressions just in case anyone else was searching for this in the future. For reference, this is the model I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140042797670

It was an older revision of the Sys Sel Pro, but new enough to come with the remote.

I hooked up my Gamecube (with Nintendo's component cables), Xbox and PS2 (both using Monster component cables) to the selector, and tried hooking it up to the TV with both the component cable that came with it and some standard component cables from monoprice.com, which are cheap but pretty beefy.

Overall it works pretty well. The included cables are better than most, but the other ones I ordered gave it a slightly better picture. There was the slightest bit of interference, but you could only see it when booting up the Gamecube or Xbox when the screen is completely black. While playing Fire Emblem, I took a close look at the battle screen and I couldn't tell a difference between using the switchbox and having the cube directly connected. I could only see it with totally black screens. It's worth noting that there are a TON of devices crammed into a small space. It doesn't seem to be the cables themselves since I tried two sets of cables and routed them to avoid any other cables.

S-Video (through the Cube) didn't look so hot, but that's probably because I was switching between component to S-video, and my TV makes S-video look blurry anyway. I haven't tried composite video, but composite sucks so much on this TV that I would imagine a switch wouldn't matter.

Analog audio was perfect through my sound system. I haven't tried digital audio, since I haven't played the PS2 yet.

It's a great product, and I would recommend it to anyone. It's not perfect, but there's nothing else that offers the same features for anywhere close to the money. I love the fact that it has front inputs for every type of video connection also, it will make pulling out the little-used consoles for some play very easy. I'm not certain that I would use this box for a really high-end HDTV though, as the slight bit of distortion would get worse at 720p or 1080i.