Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top Ten Anime List

1. Berserk

Ping Pong Club

.... Um, yeah. I need to come up with more there.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

2. That's the thing, I really had to reach to find some of my shit.

3. I really need to rewatch Nadesico. I loved it the first time through and then tried to rewatch it a year or so later and didn't really like it as much so I didn't finish it the second time. I should try again; maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it that second time.

4. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    The Planetes manga is fantastic, but the series is filled with whiny crap and stupid japanesy (not funny) jokes.

EDIT: The only other show I'd like to see but never got a chance was Last Exile.
    I highly recommend Last Exile... in fact.. I can't believe I forgot to include that on the first 5 listed.
    "with new weapons perceived some disquieting movement"

5. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    I really need to rewatch Nadesico. I loved it the first time through and then tried to rewatch it a year or so later and didn't really like it as much so I didn't finish it the second time. I should try again; maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it that second time.
    I got into it when it was $12 for 9 eps on the Essentials discs. The movie really ruins the series, so for you newcomers DONT watch it.

6. You know, in this time of F-chan discrimination I'm glad to see this thread. I'm not sure if I even have 10, since it looks like you're not including movies, but I will try.

Evangelion
    Lain
    Lupin
    Cowboy Bebop
    Urusei Yatsura
    His and Her Circumstances
    Windy Tales
    FLCL
    Haibane Renmei

Well, there's nine anyway. I don't watch a lot of anime, so my list is kind of generic and sucks, but those are ones that I liked enough to remember.

7. in no particular order

Full Metal Alchemist
    Onegai Teacher
    Azumanga Daioh
    Berserk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa
    Onegai Teacher
    QFT

Much better than Twins.

9. One movie. And... I can't stop at 10.

1) Porco Rosso- My favorite movie, animation, anything since 2002. The characters, the flying, the colors, the music, everything is so perfect that it will never get old, no matter how many times i watch it. The French dub is amazing.

2) Master Keaton- A guy who does... stuff. It's not quite action-packed, but like Cowboy Bebop, the episodes are self contained. Some of the stories are a little slow, but not a single one sucks. I love how some episodes deal with saving people's lives and some deal with things like cooking a Chinese meal. If tons of research didn't go into the show/manga, the writer's really good at bull shitting. The show looks old, and by some miracle of modern technology, Pioneer somehow made the dub sound old, in a good way. The accents are silly, but very fitting.

3) Black Jack TV series- If you've seen the OVA and hated it, but liked the manga, you owe this to yourself. It's a little more juvenile than both, but just a little. For anyone who hasn't read it, Black Jack is an outlaw surgeon, saving people's lives agin the law, for a very high price. Sometimes he looks like the bad guy, but he has a good heart. No matter what, he's always bad ass.
    This version also has as many Tezuka references as they can squeeze in. As a Tezuka fan myself, i was in love before episode 1. Even Unico and Kimba have appearances, though not as their actual characters.

4) Princess Tutu- For having both "Princess" and "Tutu" in the title, Princess Tutu isn't nearly as girly as you'd expect. There's a bigger fairy tale behind the 12 (or 13?) epiodes of the first series, but every episode is a nice little fairy tale in itself. The character designs by Ikuko Itoh are beautiful. I wish i could draw eye lashes like that. The characters themselves range from comletely bizarre to absolutely darling. Only a heartless couldn't fall in love with little Ahiru.

5) 80's Astro Boy- It's often completely stupid, but like all Tezuka work, there's something behind it that keeps bringing you back. I hate Astro Boy, but i love it.

6) Cowboy Bebop- Probably the sole reason i didn't stop watching anime in ... whatever year it came out. I remember expecting nothing from every volume and being completely blown away. Even people who hate anime loved Bebop. There has been better stuff since, but Bebop will always be up there. Forever and ever? Forever and always.

7) Binchoutan- 12 parts cute, 3 parts one of those old nature videos. Binchou is a little girl who lives in the woods among her little animal friends. She's a little retarded and has constant nasal congestion, but she gets by. It seems very peaceful, but it has a little weirdness in it. "Binchoutan" means charcoal, and they play off that a lot. Why does Binchou have to sleep in dirty shoes? Why does she sit in a bottle of water?
    The animation and music are very nice, and it always seems peaceful even during the weird moments. Every single moment of Binchoutan is designed to make you say, "awww..." but it's not completely brain-dead.

8) Good Leiji Matsumuto- Because it's mostly one huge series, and there's a lot of bad Leiji Matsumuto. For every Galaxy Express 999, there's an Adieu GE 999. Even the bad isn't completely terrible, though. There are a few that aren't in whatever space series, like the beautiful short series The Cockpit (thanks again, Alan), and um... something else maybe. But whatever, it's all about the good stuff. Captain Harlock is essentially Black Jack in space. There's no surgery, but they look almost teh same, they're both outlaws, and they both kick ass. As for Maetel, she might not be real, but if you never fell in love with her, you were never a dreamer.

9) Maho Tsukai Tai!/Magic User's Club- This one was a complete, but very good surprise. Everything about the original OVA is very well done, if not spectacular. The story's kind of boring, but the characters are so lovable, it doesn't matter. The TV series starts off great, gets bad in the last few episodes, only to get good again in the very last. It just seems like they thought they would be able to go more and had to stop suddenly. Too bad, really. The whole "let's make cake and steal underwear" thing was nice while it lasted.

10) Kino's Journey- It doesn't seem like it's talked about much, but it's certainly one of the best. Very slow, and very sad. It's another one of those episodic shows. Some of the stories are shorter than the episode, and some intertwine.

11) NieA_7- I like shows that don't have a point, and this one really has kind of a negative point. It seems to be going somewhere, but it really isn't. I'd love to see more NieA, but it won't happen.

12) Paranoia Agent/Satoshi Kon movies- Weird, but normal. Rawesome

13) Cat's Eye- The first episode is horrible. Horrible. The rest are mostly stupid, but addictive like crack. Toshio is this cop, see, and his girlfriend is this girl who works at a coffee shop called Cat's Eye. But then, she's also in this gang of thieves called Cat's Eye, who's kind of like Charlie's Angels, but actually just like them. And see, no one realizes that the thieves are actually the sisters who run the coffee shop! Ha ha ha! Oh, Toshio, it's obviously your girlfriend's voice, but since you're temporarily blind, you can't tell that she's Cat's Eye! Needless to say, they come up with all sorts of stupid reasons Toshio never figures it out, but somehow it's just entertaining and more than anything enjoyable. Mysterious giiiirrrrl! We giiih tchoo!

14) A bunch more stuff, but i'm tired of typing. Everything i listed is the best of the best, even if it is stupid. The top 6 are the top 6, no matter what anyone else says, unless there's something i haven't seen that's better.
    Donk

10. Dude, you can't have a movie. I didn't have any movies.

Take it off.

Just kidding, I love Porco Rosso. I think I agree with you that it's probably the most perfect Miyazaki movie, if you would even go that far. Hell, right after saying it my mind is punching itself, but it's up there for sure.