Thread: Internet/Network Problems

1. Internet/Network Problems

So I'm getting fed up and I figure somebody might be able to help me:

My network setup is pretty simple, an RCA Broadband Cable Modem and a Belkin Wireless G Router. I'm hard-wired to the router and it has wireless connections to the two other computers in the house and it's sitting right next to the modem. Now here lies my problem:

The green internet light on the router will start blinking (which I'm assuming that it's indicating a bad connection, like all flashing lights do) and the internet will cease to work. I think it'll eventually right itself out but I usually disconnect the power to both the router and modem and disconnect the wires, let them sit and reconnect them to solve the problem.

Originally I thought high transfer rates on Azerus were causing the connection to dump but it does it even when all the computers in the house are off. When I set up Azerus I did go into the router menu to do something but I really can't remember what and I don't think I had problems after I did that. This problem just all of a sudden occurred one day and has been doing it ever since.

I tested to see if it was the router but even when I hardwire right into the Cable Modem I get a connection but no internet activity (except really really slow upload, nothing worth mentioning, maybe a few bytes a second) so I'm assuming it's a problem with the modem.

Any ideas?
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

Get a new modem from your ISP.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Get a new modem from your ISP.
    I have money to burn so I was thinking of just going to buy one sometime this week from Best Buy. I might want to call Comcas tech support first to see if there's a common solution to a possibly common problem.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

4. I had the same problem with my RCA Cable Modem. I would get connection and every once in a while, it would disconnect automatically, restart and disconnect, on and off.

I called my ISP (Road Runner) and told them. They told me it could be on their side and that they're putting a trouble ticket. After a week, same thing. Called them up, tried to help me with troubleshooting and nothing. They sent me a new Motorola Cable Modem to my house and I sent back the defective one.

I think honestly that RCA cable modems are crap. I think they give that to everyone and is probably refurbished. So dont spend the money to buy a new one. Call them up, let them know and have them send you a new one.

5. For some retarded reason my connection (optimum) has been freaking out too. All the lights stay on but Trillian logs on and off randomly, downloads will stop. Seems to happen in spurts.

6. Definitely don't just go buy one. Let them troubleshoot it for you. There is no need to tell them anything at all about your router because they will blame it on the router and do nothing about it. You already said that you get the problem without the router so just play like you never had the router hooked up and let them do their job. If for some reason you still do go buy one, don't forget to call them and give them the mac address to the new modem. If you don't, it won't work.