So here's my deal.

My Verizon contract is up. I'm interested in the iPhone, but AT&T's coverage is shit. Verizon's coverage is near-flawless, but their phones are shit. I don't want to switch to AT&T and give up my reliable coverage just to have Apple's latest iProduct, especially not when I hear Verizon is getting the iPhone next year. (Is that right?)

At the same time, I'd like to replace my phone. My LG enV has served me well, but I can't use it to access the Internet and, most importantly, check and update my calendar (I use Google). But none of the Verizon phones really appeal to me except the Blackberries, and even if I bought those I'd be stuck with Verizon's shitty data/Internet plans.

So I'm thinking about buying one of the new Eee netbooks (or something similar) and just paying extra for Verizon's EV-DO service. I could use it to keep track of my schedule, edit briefs and other pleadings, send email, and then I could buy an iPhone later if I still wanted one.

Does this sound reasonable? Feel free to suggest alternative solutions and/or phones.