Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Freezing

1. Random Freezing

Alright so it started two days ago or so, but my computer is randomly freezing. The mouse won't move, no sound, complete freeze. there is NO warning whatsoever, it happens at random times usually before like 20 minutes, but it does happen out of the blue. I've checked system logs and the other logs accessible by windows manager and there is nothing out of the ordinary there. So I'm completely at a loss at any way to figure out why it's happening. But I'm hoping the way it freezes perhaps is a hint, what I'll do next time I guess is check the CPU maybe it's shutting down. Sometimes it's happened and the temp for my CPU was at 75 C, but other times it was at 45 C so I don't think it's overhearting (Also because usually when it overheats yo uget a blue screen). Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. What type of CPU do you have? 75 C is hot but not too hot for many of them. So I doubt its that.

Maybe a HD problem. Do you hear any clicking or shit like that?

3. as with all the other "freezing" threads here, make sure ALL of your fans are workng. most importantly the cpu and video card fans.

4. Nah no clicking, don't think it's a harddrive issue for once though I could be wrong. Yeah I'll double check the CPU fan, but besides the fans any other ideas what it could be? I'd say Video card is ruled out, maybe the power supply actually, my dad recently did some rewiring, my cieling fan bulb burned out and the fan won't turn on, so maybe my power supply is also being affected in some way? What do you normally get when there is a power supply issue?

5. random reboots and freezing.

6. I've noticed that if I leave it for a bit, I come and it's restarted, so perhaps that is probable, I've had the Power Supply for 2 years I think? And I've been told that the Power supply is usually one of the first objects that need to be replaced so I should probably keep that in mind.

7. I once had a Win 95/98 (some OS like that) PC that would freeze after a few minutes of being switched on. The mouse was causing it. It wasn't a new mouse either. It was the one that had been used with the PC all along.

8. Hrm, doubt that's the problem but I guess I can check. Like I said it's pretty random, but a lot of people at my school are suggesting it may just be an OS issue, I am in need of a reformat so I may just do that and see if works. Of course if it freezes in a reformat, that would suck.

9. I am have the same exact problem, random freezing. I wont even use the computer and it will still freeze. I have tried damn near everything suggested.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

10. So you've reformatted?