Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphic Design pieces

1. Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    I see what you're saying. But what could you possible due to the letter to make it proper? Size, width?
    Firstly, Kern the 1 in the 169 to make it more snug. Search www.dafont.com or www.acidfonts.com or one in your library which looks great and use it. Vertical and horizontal bastardization of a font is considered a no no, but if you end up cheating and it physically looks good then it's fine. The end result is all that matters in design, and sometimes breaking the rules is how you get there.

Univers and Helvetica are two relatively easy to obtain fonts for student designers which look good and aren't too crazy. Just don't use them in every piece and you should be fine.

. Now I'm afraid to show my work. HAHAHA JK. I appreciate the criticism and opinions. The more the better.
    You'll learn as you go along. If you're aiming for magazines and stuff like that you'll learn all of this stuff while under the tutelage of a designer anyway. Right now I'm doing a lot of high end branding (like that press), and in this particular realm type skills sometimes make and break deals.

Thanks. Right now I'm looking for internships (as I had a thread on getting some networking and such). Cowdisease helped me out with one and I got the internship. I got an interview with Time Inc. Waiting for hiring manager to interview me. I got another one as well. I sent my resume to TBWA/Chiat/Day (big advertising company). They werent looking for interns so they sent my resume to their other company (they bought out two companies and put them together to form Brand Architecture International). So I have an interview set up this Monday. I prefer either Brand Arch. or Time Inc. It gets my foot in the door and looks good on the resume. But the hookup cow got me is good as well. Gives me a learning experience.
    I remember that thread. The #1 way to get a job in design is to have an in with someone you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Firstly, Kern the 1 in the 169 to make it more snug. Search www.dafont.com or www.acidfonts.com or one in your library which looks great and use it. Vertical and horizontal bastardization of a font is considered a no no, but if you end up cheating and it physically looks good then it's fine. The end result is all that matters in design, and sometimes breaking the rules is how you get there.

Univers and Helvetica are two relatively easy to obtain fonts for student designers which look good and aren't too crazy. Just don't use them in every piece and you should be fine.
    No time to reprint out the fixed version. I'll print it out when I get back to campus. Interview is on Monday. But I'll fix it up.

Any other suggested fonts? Any fonts that are no-no?

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

3. that's an awesome fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

4. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.
    I want to see you succeed. Why wouldn't I?

Any other suggested fonts? Any fonts that are no-no?
    Univers, Helvetica, Edwardian Script is a great script font (one of the best, although only for headings. But you wouldn't use a script font for body copy anyway), and Square. Everything except Edwardian is sans serif.

I don't use serif fonts that much (not enough to know their names off heart) but I love a lot of the fonts House Industries produces. Be wary if you ever buy a font from them though, their mock-up demos are specifically designed to showcase their fonts and shed them in particular light. I've pirated a few to see if they were genuinely awesome and some of them aren't quite as good as they look in b&w (all fonts look decent in black and white).

There aren't any fonts that are a no-no but as a rule of thumb it's common to stay away from fonts that are named after a city (chicago, new york, paris, london, etc.) but I'm hesitant to tell you things like this. Because in two weeks someone will do something amazing with Chicago and it will be the "in" font for a couple of months.

Stay away from comic sans though. No good can come of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."