Thread: Has anyone had a picture tube go out on them?

1. Has anyone had a picture tube go out on them?

I was watching my HD set last week and it just turned off, for no reason at all. I turned it back on and it ran for about 30 minutes, then it turned off again. I turned it back on, checked the sleep timers and such and the television worked fine for the rest of the evening.

My wife goes to turn it on yesterday and nothing. I unplug the power, plug it back in and you can hear the tube energize for a few seconds, then the set turns itself off. I'm hoping this is just a power source issue and not the tube.

Has anyone had to replace a tube or is it less expensive to just buy another set?

2. if its the tube, it will cost more than the entire set.

your problem sounds like a power supply or flyback issue..

3. I doubt thats the tube. Tubes generally need a loooooong time before they break (I had a TV that was 12 or 13 years before it did) and generally you just get wack colors and shit. Since you mentioned its an HDTV, is it still under warranty?
    Last edited by diffusionx; 16 Apr 2006 at 10:39 PM.

I had the same symptoms with a Sony Wega a couple years ago. After reading about the model I had online, it turned out Sony put the motherboard in the bottom of the set, so over time it would get crushed by its own weight. Needless to say, when I replaced it, I bought a Samsung HDTV.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I had the same symptoms with a Sony Wega a couple years ago. After reading about the model I had online, it turned out Sony put the motherboard in the bottom of the set, so over time it would get crushed by its own weight. Needless to say, when I replaced it, I bought a Samsung HDTV.

It wouldn't happen to be the Sony KV-32HS420 would it? That's what mine is and it will be a 2 year old set in May.

I really love the picture quality of this set (Sony sets in particular), so I'm sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I doubt thats the tube. Tubes generally need a loooooong time before they break (I had a TV that was 12 or 13 years before it did) and generally you just get wack colors and shit. Since you mentioned its an HDTV, is it still under warranty?
    I bought it open box last year, so it had a little bit of use already. Who knows if Fry's turns that stuff off at night?

I didn't think it was the tube either, but the television clicks off before it can get started and then gives a blinking (standby) light to indicate there is a problem.

I know a Sam's store that has this same set on sale for $480, but I hate to spend the cash and later find out my current set only needed a $75 part.

What really sucks about the whole situation is, that I'm working at nights, it's my livingroom television, my 10 year old Trinitron died 3 months ago and the television I had in my office is now in my master bedroom. My wife isn't going to let me use the only set in the house, to play games.

At least I have a Dreamcast VGA box.
    Last edited by gamevet; 17 Apr 2006 at 07:25 PM.