Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Consequences of Downloading

1. The Consequences of Downloading

Recently, my local paper had an opinion article written by a guy who was arrested for seeding music on torrents. The guy claims that he only shared a small amount of abscure music but was still heavily fined and put on probation.

While reading this article I began to think about all the stuff that I've downloaded over the years. A lot of my downloads have to deal with programs on television now since I'm never home to watch them. If it weren't for torrents, I'd never watch these shows.

Do you think it's right or wrong to do this? If so, why? And do you guys ever worry about Big Brother ever catching you?

2. I pretty much stopped doing it once I got out of college and got a decent job. It's not that I spend that much more money (I budget and all that), its just that downloading 600000 albums and movies and shit doesn't appeal to me anymore. I can live without listening to every album Pitchfork or whoever raves about.

TV shows is the one thing I dont understand. Advertisements pay for it. Watching the shows are functionally free and keep it going for longer. People love a show and then wonder why it got canceled... but when you question them you learn they just downloaded all the episodes. Makes no sense.

3. Help me, aren't the music file sharers targetted by the RIAA (in that case how obscure was the guy's music really) or how did he end up "arrested?" FBI crackdown on no-name bands?

4. FBI came to his dorm and ceased his shit.

I only download because I am in college and don't have as much free time as I would like. When I do get the chance to sit down at home without having anything to do I always check out what's on TV. 24 and Prison Break are the only shows I actually do watch no matter what, though.

5. So are the FBI devoting their resources to busting college dudes sharing a few "obscure" albums, or is it more like this guy who joined a distribution group?

6. I rarely download leaked albums anymore. That said, the ones I do download I eventually end up buying anyways. Can you actually get prosecuted for illegal downloads if you also own the CD?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk
    So are the FBI devoting their resources to busting college dudes sharing a few "obscure" albums, or is it more like this guy who joined a distribution group?
    That's why you don't pull shit on this level when you're in a college dorm. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchimo Dos
    I rarely download leaked albums anymore. That said, the ones I do download I eventually end up buying anyways. Can you actually get prosecuted for illegal downloads if you also own the CD?
    They're still illegal, yes?

...not that those should be.

8. Downloading is too annoying to bother. It takes weeks to download an episode of say Star Trek when I could just watch re-runs or borrow someones DVD.

I dunno, for those who do it. Do it because they know that they won't get caught (it's slim) but for those who do it without even knowing it's wrong is where it gets frustrating.

There are so many people downloading songs and what not and they don't even realize the trouble they could be getting into.

9. Yeah, dorms are a pretty easy hit. I would imagine that the FBI doesn't really have enough time to be busting every single person who is downloading illegally. Bust some college kid and make an example of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoofNee
    They're still illegal, yes?

...not that those should be.
    Exactly, you're still supporting the artist.
    The big wigs in the record industry really are nuts. Like how they're making Apple raise prices for full albums on iTunes. Why the fuck would I want to pay 12.99 for MP3's, when I can go buy the CD for the same price? Atleast the disk will have packaging and cover art. It's still overpriced, but at least it is alittle more justifiable.

10. Pretty much all I download is stuff from Japan - music singles, TV shows, but mostly music videos. I figure I'm pretty safe, as the RIAA couldn't give a crap about all of that stuff.

That said, if they DO decide to start cracking down on people who download stuff like that, I'm screwed. *heh*

Mainstream stuff is just taking too big of a chance. I think I've downloaded one Hollywood moive, and that was Kill Bill, because I didn't want to wait for the DVD to hit to see it again. Music, it just sucks trying to find a decent rip of a song out there, so if there's something I really need, it's off to the iTunes Music Store. Or, you know, if it is something I care more about, then maybe Allofmp3. I don't like to buy the music from them, but then again, I also don't like paying for a 128kbps file, AAC or not.

I guess I do occasionally grab TV shows when I miss seeing them, but really, I see that as a totally separate deal. Plus, I don't think they've gotten the balls yet to go after anybody downloading TV shows right after broadcast, have they?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.