Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northbridge Controller clips popping off... *NEW QUESTION* what to do...?

1. Northbridge Controller clips popping off... *NEW QUESTION* what to do...?

Ok, so I received diffusionx's 1GB memory sticks. I open my case and what do I see? Two clips that hold my Northbridge Controller in place on my mobo (ASUS P4B533) fell off.

Here is now the clips look like

(pic is from a site but I circled the clips)

Everytime I put them back, the clips pop off when I attach the arms onto the clips or when I have the case all put back together and hooked up. After awhile, the clips pop off.

Is there a way I can make the clips stay on? I think this could be a reason why my computer freezes randomly.

Any information for you PC intelligent people?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hs1.JPG 
Views:	890 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	19074  
    Last edited by bandit; 27 Apr 2006 at 10:07 AM.

2. warrenty? or tape, lots of tape
    "Punch the yeti! Win a free Llama!"

3. so the hooks where the wire clip snags into wont stay in the mobo?

get some of this then

http://www.svc.com/arsiltherad.html
    fuck the clips. glue that bitch on.

4. Do you mean: They slip out of those posts that are mounted to the board?

5. I had this computer custom built. How long do the warranties usually last for? I have no record of any purchases like receipt or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Do you mean: They slip out of those posts that are mounted to the board?
    Yes. Everytime I pop the clips back in, they pop out when I attach the heatsink on or when I closed everything up and hook everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    so the hooks where the wire clip snags into wont stay in the mobo?

get some of this then

http://www.svc.com/arsiltherad.html
    fuck the clips. glue that bitch on.
    The wire clips is what wont stay onto the mobo. When I hook the heatsink onto the clips, the heatsink lifts the clips out of the mobo since its like a spring like action.

Isnt that glue for the heatsink itself?
    Last edited by bandit; 17 Apr 2006 at 08:21 PM.

6. so get that stuff like i said and glue the heatsink back on your northbridge. its like regular thermal compound but also holds like glue.

and yes, if thats been popping off it is more than likely 99% the cause of your reboots and shutdowns. that chip it's cooling is the brains of your mobo and lets everything talk to one another.

7. Thanks. I'm talking to my friends uncle (who built my computer). Hes going to see if its still under warranty or to see if he can get another one for me. If its not covered or if he cant do anything, I'll try the glue out.

I dont get reboots or shutdowns. The comp just freezes.

Regarding the glue (I'm a noob at this stuff), if and when I do get it, I just apply it to the bottom of the heatsink and just pop it back on? No need to remove the old glue? (is there any?).
    Last edited by bandit; 17 Apr 2006 at 08:35 PM.

8. it might have a little bit of an old thermal pad left on there. that normally comes off with a little alcohol. let it all dry then follow the directions supplied with the compound. basically you mix two tubes, stir and activate it and apply. hold in place (its like rubber cement) and let dry.

and you'll also get "freezes" from overheating as well.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    it might have a little bit of an old thermal pad left on there. that normally comes off with a little alcohol. let it all dry then follow the directions supplied with the compound. basically you mix two tubes, stir and activate it and apply. hold in place (its like rubber cement) and let dry.

and you'll also get "freezes" from overheating as well.
    Thanks. My friends uncle is going to call ASUS tomorrow. Hopefully its still under warranty or is covered considering its not a technical issue. Its more on the craftsmanship with the soldering.

*crosses fingers*

10. OK, after looking at the quick guide book. its not the heatsink. Its called the Northbridge Controller (Memory Controller Hub - MCH).