Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northbridge Controller clips popping off... *NEW QUESTION* what to do...?

1. OK, new question.

I'm going to get a new mobo and cpu (ASUS P4P800 w/ P4 3.0ghz 800FSB). Now my question is, my current mobo still works just that the clips broke and it freezes randomly (due to the MCH off the board). So do I send it to ASUS and spend the shipping costs to see how much it costs to fix the clips if it isnt under warranty (which probably isnt but it should considering I didnt do anything to it), do I solder/glue the clips on myself or just sell it on eBay and try to get as much money as I can?

The CPU I have now is 2.26ghz or something like that. Or do I just keep the current CPU and just get a new mobo only?

2. Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    do I solder/glue the clips on myself
    This is what I would do. I'm sure you can figure out some way to rig it up. Unless you were looking to upgrade anyway, I wouldn't sell it on eBay, as the going rates for broken shit are down these days.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    This is what I would do. I'm sure you can figure out some way to rig it up. Unless you were looking to upgrade anyway, I wouldn't sell it on eBay, as the going rates for broken shit are down these days.
    I figured. Can I use crazy glue to place the hooks on the board? Would the glue do anything to it?

Well I can sell the board on eBay and let the buyer decide what to do. If they have the soldering skills it can be easily fixed (i dont unfortunately nor have the tools) or they can send it in.

I wasnt really planning on upgrading. Only thing I wanted to upgrade was my RAM (thanks diff). I'm thinking of actually taking my 2.26ghz CPU and just placing it on my mobo. I'm not computer savvy but I know placing mobo is hard but setting it up (configurations)..I know diddly squat. I'll see how much I can score on the mobo/cpu combo first.

4. You wouldn't fetch a lot for it on ebay, if you're openly declaring it's broken.

The motherboard I'm sure you can do easily, and HS's are easier than ever to attach.
    Configurations you don't need to touch so it's not that complicated. Just make sure you load the optimised defaults. If you get any problems, then you post back.

See what price the rest of your components go for on ebay. My motherboard crapped out on me in November, and I moved to a socket 939 from a socket A, and it didn't cost me a lot more for the motherboard/cpu/ram combo (like $50 or so more). I actually got more for my cpu than I paid for it 18 months before.
    You might find upgrading is more affordable tan you think.

5. The mobo itself doesnt go for much if it wasnt for the hooks. Probably $50? The mobo/cpu combo i'm watching is a Asus P4P800 w/3.0ghz Intel, fan with copper heatsink. Shipping on that is overpriced ($25!!) and thats without insurance

There was one that I was looking at same things (different manufacturer for the fan/heatsink) but with 1.25gb of RAM. I got outbid and ended at $245 shpd. I could of sold the RAM since I bought 1GB from diffusionx already and have no need for it and probably got $60-80 which technically makes the mobo/cpu only $160-180?

If and when I get the new mobo and I put the new drivers in there, it wont erase any of my current files, programs or stuff? The old drivers from the old mobo wont be on my HD?

6. I don't know much about intel, so I can't say how much what you have is worth.

When you change motherboard, you need to reinnstall windows.
    You can reinstall windows without reformatting, but be careful, because it asked you if you want to write over your old "my documents" folder, which I guess you don't want to do.
    You ought to uninstall all your old programs and reinstall them if you do that.
    If you can find a way to reformat instead, that would be much better.

If your replacement mobo runs the same chipset then you might be ok to use your current drivers, though I'm not guarenteeing that will work.

7. Uhhh...my current PC is custom built and I dont have Windows XP Pro CD on me.