Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: HD-DVD is out

1. HD-DVD is out

Quote Originally Posted by IMDB
    Critics Unimpressed with HD DVD

Consumer electronics writers have begun to weigh in on the new HD DVD players distributed by Toshiba this week, and most are unimpressed. Several cite an intolerably long boot-up period, a confusing menu system, and incompatible sound. But nearly all express disappointment in the picture. On smaller sets, the writers agree, the difference between HD DVD and a conventional DVD is virtually undetectable. "Bottom line is that HD DVD is great, but will you notice?" asks Ben Drawbaugh on HDBeat.com. Writing in the Los Angeles Times David Colker remarked that on larger screens he could detect a subtle difference. He added: "I tested my perceptions by switching between the two formats. I asked a colleague to close his eyes while I chose a version, then had him open them and guess: DVD or HD DVD? He got it right only about 75% of the time. So, yes, it's better. But don't expect the dramatic leap in quality that came with the transition from VHS to DVDs in the 1990s."
    Whoopee. Yeah, this proves we really needed another video format this soon. And Blu-ray's coming too...

Anyway, I noticed some HD-DVDs at Circuit City yesterday. They come in red cases that are about half the size of regular DVD cases. I could easly see an uninformed consumer thinking that this would work on a regular DVD player and buying it- they might just think it's another high-bitrate disc format like Superbit.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Yea once they announced these things I totally expected it to do awesome. Now Ill be really surprised if they dont flop. I hate both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray so their failure would bring me joy.

3. I heard one of them was Braveheart, and all they did was upsample.

Lame.

4. wait, so this guy couldnt tell the difference between 480p and 1080i ?

Or is HD-DVD not in 1080i ?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Whoopee. Yeah, this proves we really needed another video format this soon. And Blu-ray's coming too...
    Yup, can't argue the facts anymore.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    I heard one of them was Braveheart, and all they did was upsample.

Lame.
    Yea I think you're gonna be seeing that for a long time, longer than quickie EA Xbox-to-360 ports.

7. HD-DVD will bomb. Blu-Ray might succeed, but hopefully it will bomb too.

Depending on the criteria for success, Blu Ray may succeed on PS3 sales alone.

9. Blu Ray will do okay, but downloadable content will eventually wipe them both out, imo.
    -Kyo

10. I'd be down for HD-DVD once it gets cheaper. Better picture quality + backward compatibility = victory. Blu-Ray is less than a hypothesis at this point, as far as I'm concerned.