Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 313151617

Thread: HD-DVD is out

1. Firmware update for the Toshiba's released today and it fixes a lot of issues... appearantly a lot of the complaints people had with the players are no longer there (although it's still only 1080i). The player just gets better and better, while I just read that once Sony can get the dual layer Blu-Ray discs working, the Samsung player out now won't be able to read them. Weak.

So yeah, I placed an order on Amazon.com for my player earlier today. I should be getting it on Wednesday.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

2. I posted in the Blu-Ray thread about my player coming in... more impressions to come.

EDIT: My TV is older so it has DVI instead of HDMI. I had a DVI cable already, so I got the adaptor for it... the problem is that it's big, and since it has to go into the player it leaves me the choice of either have it stick out 2-3" or just return the adaptor and get an HDMI->DVI converter since the player actually comes with an HDMI cable (I didn't expect that). Needless to say, I'm exchanging the adaptor. If it didn't come with the cable I might have figured something out, but at least now i have a nice looking setup here.

Oh, and for anyone that cares, HD-DVDs are all-region, but when I tried one of my region 2 DVDs, I got a region error... oh well.
    Last edited by TobalRox; 30 Aug 2006 at 02:01 AM.

3. Some interesting news from our folks at Toshiba:

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5575/53/

Toshiba three-layer disc supports DVD and HD DVD: Toshiba and Memory-Tech have jointly announced a new single-sided three-layer disc that is compatible with both DVD and high definition HD DVD players.
    A great idea, in my opinion. A single release containing both versions of the same film on one disc. I don't see it being the norm anytime soon, as I'm sure it costs a lot to make the discs right now, but when more players become available at a cheaper price, it'll be nice to know we might not have to go hunting for 2 different releases.
    Last edited by George; 12 Sep 2006 at 11:22 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    Some interesting news from our folks at Toshiba:

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5575/53/

A great idea, in my opinion. A single release containing both versions of the same film on one disc. I don't see it being the norm anytime soon, as I'm sure it costs a lot to make the discs right now, but when more players become available at a cheaper price, it'll be nice to know we might not have to go hunting for 2 different releases.
    They already make combo discs that are both DVD/HD-DVD, and they are more expensive... but are great for the reasons you mention. I bought Kiss Kiss Bang Bang because it was a combo and I ended up getting my player 2 weeks later. It's the only combo I have, but I'll be getting more in the future since Slither is going to be one, Animal House is one, and so is Unleashed. I hate having to pay more now that I have the player, but at least if someone wants to borrow the movie from me I can let them.

EDIT: The article mentions that Sony has 50 GB discs out, which is a flat out lie. At least at the moment anyway.

5. Why did this thread get moved and not the Blu-Ray one?