Thread: Car stereo stopped working

1. Car stereo stopped working

My brother just got a new set up speakers and a pioneer unit put in (like a month ago). On my way back to school the thing just stopped working, no lights, no sound, just dead. I assumed I had blown a fuse. I finally got around to checking the thing out and the fuses are fine. Does anybody know anything about car stereos who can help me?

I wasn't sure were to put this, so I put it in the circuit board. I do have a service plan with Circuit City for the stereo, so they can fix it. Only problem is the nearest one to me is over an hour away. Wanted to figure out if this is something easy I can fix or whether I should just wait and bring it to them.
    your mom

2. Odds are it just shit out on you. Taking it back to CC is your best bet.

3. which fuses did you check? It could be the car fuse box or a fuse on the radio. If it's not that simple then definitely take that shit back.

4. The car's fuse box, not the radio's.
    your mom

Pull the stereo out, many have a fuse on the back of it, check it. I've never actually seen it blow, but it's there for a reason.

Another thing to check, make sure the ground wire is connected properly! Most of the times when I've seen stereos stop working (especially DIY jobs) it's because the ground wire isn't connected properly and came off.

Usually when you install a stereo, you find a harness kit for your particular car. Basically, you connect the 10 or so wires into the harness, and it plugs into the car's harness, and blammo everything is connected. Except the ground wire (which should be black btw.) It needs to be connected to something, but it doesn't connect to that harness, you have to figure out a way of grounding it yourself. I've seen some crappy grounds, like some people just taping it to the metal, and it comes off after the tape comes undone.

An easy way to check this is pull the stereo out (with the car off! Battery disconnected if you're really paranoid) and check the ground wire. Disconnect it from whatever it is connected to, then touch connector or exposed part of the wire to any unpainted metal. A mounting screw is great for this. Make sure it stays in place and try to turn your car and radio on. If it comes on, then all you had was a grounding problem. Fix it and get on with happy stereo-ing.

A good, easy way to ground is just put the ground wire into a mounting screw. In most cars, you have mounting screws that hold the radio surround in place, and they are usually screwed directly into the car's chassis, which IS the car's ground. With the screw tight, the wire is SNUG and will never come off.

That is, of course, IF you want to try to troubleshoot it yourself. Since you do have the CC plan, I'd say fuck it and take it back. There's a good chance they won't even troubleshoot it and just give you a new radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Car stereos almost always have a blade fuse in the back, usually close to the audio connectors. Check all of those fuses, and while you are at it, check all of the fuses for the car. You would be surprised by some of the fuses that are seemingly unrelated to your car stereo that can make it not work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    Check all of those fuses, and while you are at it, check all of the fuses for the car. You would be surprised by some of the fuses that are seemingly unrelated to your car stereo that can make it not work.
    Lol, thanks for this tip. It was a piddly little fuse that runs the chime noise in my car that was the problem. Thanks for the help.
    your mom

8. Car stereos almost always have a blade fuse in the back, usually close to the audio connectors. Check all of those fuses, and while you are at it, check all of the fuses for the car. You would be surprised by some of the fuses that are seemingly unrelated to your car stereo that can make it not work.

Thanks for sharing this post.

== CrosswordChamp - Free Answers For Printable Crossword Puzzles Daily ==
    Last edited by james71; 18 Feb 2016 at 05:12 AM.