Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D Modelling

1. This shit's making me want to try opening 3ds max again and making something that requires work. I think I'm just really impatient when it comes to modelling, and forcing myself to sit down with one thing would do a world of good.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    By the time I'm done shaping everything I'll probably have added a billion polygon splits and my wireframe should contain no 5+ sided polygons by then, I've already had to edit a bunch of random vertices and re-split locations and I know there's a bunch more. That damned split line is still bugging me but I don't think I can really fix it until I start editing the smoothed version.

Before you do smooth it and start playing with the smoothed version I would highly reccomend fixing that weird pull right above the lip, things like that are alot easier to fix when your dealing with 5 verts as opposed to 20 or 40

there's still something about the way the cheek line and shape is flowing into the jow bone I can't place my finger on it, like her cheeks are real puffy or just has big cheeks to sinking in really fast to the jaw I'm not sure it's hard to tell from the screen shots

you could also get the poly tools scripts on highend.com (alot of them may be part of the maya game poly tools now) which would make it easy to create a smoothed version of your mesh that will update in real time as you edit the low res mesh it basically simulates sub-ds, if you gave me tomorrow I could remember how you would do it with out the script but I can't off the top of my head as I've just worked 11 hours and im fucking done mentally
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    Before you do smooth it and start playing with the smoothed version I would highly reccomend fixing that weird pull right above the lip
    I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here.

I'm in no real rush overall (I just have an urge to get something done every day) so if you could post that stuff tomorrow or whenever that'd be awesome.

Here's the almost-finalized version of this state (next is creating the inside of the mouth). I brought in and rounded the chin, trimmed the jawbone, and smoothed the path of the cheekbones to the jawline to give it a more feminine look. I also smoothed the lips and a few other small areas, and then found the middle ridge fixed itself when I found an overlapping vertice in the back of the head. I then cleaned up the excess ones and worked on the lips... and it reappeared. It seems pretty obvious that somewhere there's an overlap which is causing this but I have no clue where exactly. I guess all I can really do is alter and render the entire dividing line one by one until I finally find it.

Anything else about it look off to anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femaleface08.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	19155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femaleface09.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	19156  

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    I also smoothed the lips and a few other small areas, and then found the middle ridge fixed itself when I found an overlapping vertice in the back of the head. I then cleaned up the excess ones and worked on the lips... and it reappeared. It seems pretty obvious that somewhere there's an overlap which is causing this but I have no clue where exactly. I guess all I can really do is alter and render the entire dividing line one by one until I finally find it.
    Why not go into the front view and line the middle line of the model up with one of the lines of the grid, then turn on grid snap and using just the left and right translation align all the verts of the edge along the grid line then they would all be perfectly in line, also some times viewing things in wireframe and not shaded view can help you find those things

I attatched an image with the area I was talking about about the lip, but it seems like in the latest version you have that fixed

I'll try and remember how to do that tomorrow if I get a chance, I need to do some sketches for a set for a 3-D short Im working on with a friend, at least I'll find you a link for the scripts on high end or on alias' site which version of maya are you running?

It's hard to tell completely from just 2 views, could you maybe set up a camera that just rotates around the face so we can see it from a couple different angles

I fucked something up with the attatchment process and now it wont let me upload the file

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo.../misc/707.html

that should take you to script I was talking about it's called connect poly shape awesome stuff if your gonna model with polys I HIGHLY reccomend downloading it
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    Why not go into the front view and line the middle line of the model up with one of the lines of the grid, then turn on grid snap and using just the left and right translation align all the verts of the edge along the grid line then they would all be perfectly in line, also some times viewing things in wireframe and not shaded view can help you find those things
    I just figured that out and after looking at the model I reloaded... and discovered that I accidently quick-saved at some point in smooth. SHITSHITSHIT fucking pissed me off. Let that be a lesson to me, always keep multiple saves of the model in progress. Fucking hell.
    which version of maya are you running?
    Maya 7.
    It's hard to tell completely from just 2 views, could you maybe set up a camera that just rotates around the face so we can see it from a couple different angles
    I'll see if I can figure that out.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    I just figured that out and after looking at the model I reloaded... and discovered that I accidently quick-saved at some point in smooth. SHITSHITSHIT fucking pissed me off. Let that be a lesson to me, always keep multiple saves of the model in progress. Fucking hell.Maya 7.I'll see if I can figure that out.
    Damn that sucks dude, and that's a lesson you'll learn early on multiple saves, every time you work on it it gets a new number behind it. That script I linked to, Connect Poly Shape, should work for you eveb in maya 7, cause I'm pretty sure I was using it in version 5 and 6 no problem. I haven't personally tried it in 7 as I really don't do much if any poly modeling these days.
    Where I play

7. Thats pretty good. I just recently got interested in 3D modelling myself. I haven't started anything yet. Just been watching some VTM's on the basic tools and process of creating a character model. I'm only using the demo, but I plan on trying to learn a lot more this summer and maybe even start some 3d modelling and animation classes next semester.

8. Damn that sucks dude, and that's a lesson you'll learn early on multiple saves, every time you work on it it gets a new number behind it
    and here I was thinking I was crazy-paranoid.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    and here I was thinking I was crazy-paranoid.

no way man with anything multiple saves is like a MUST unless you are into redoing hours and hours of work all the time
    Where I play

10. Quote Originally Posted by Xeno G
    "I dare you, dare you, double-dare you to make a Silent Hill version of this."
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"