Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Modelling

1. 3D Modelling

For my second-ever 3D model (my first was a 3DSM tutorial that I did about a year ago) I've taken on the retarded notion to try and model a person. So far here is the unfinished head which is also lacking an internal mouth (which I'm currently working on). Then comes UV mapping! Whee!

I still have a middle ridge I need to trim down somehow (the hard line down the nose is eluding me) so other than that criticism and comments please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femaleface01.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	19105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	femaleface02.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	19106  

2. Looks really good man. The only question I have, were you trying to make the nose look like Michael Jackson's nose?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tenchimo Dos
    The only question I have, were you trying to make the nose look like Michael Jackson's nose?
    lol no. The shape was bugging me and I think it has to do with making it too thin. I'll screw around tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

4. I think the face is coming along nicely for your second 3d model

What 3D program do you use? I'm assuming you're using nurbs to model that face? I just started 3D modelling as well, using Maya and nurbs scares me so I always end up using polygons instead.

This was my first attempt at modeling a car in maya (still not finished, need to add windows which are a pain in the nutsaqs):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudiModel002.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	19107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudiModel003.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	19108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudiModel004.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudiModel005.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	19110  

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. i hate maya...it never does what i want it to

6. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa
    I think the face is coming along nicely for your second 3d model
    Danke.
    What 3D program do you use? I'm assuming you're using nurbs to model that face? I just started 3D modelling as well, using Maya and nurbs scares me so I always end up using polygons instead.
    Maya. My first few hours were spent being incredibly frustrated at trying to figure out what a material was and how I was supposed to create one, since most tutorials already figure that you know how to do certain things.

I'm using polygons to build it, starting from a 2D plane in the side view shape of the face and then drawing in the flow of the face. I took those vertices and dragged them away from the outline to give it depth, and instanced it and began shifting everything around to form a coherent shape. It actually worked pretty damned well and was a more solid idea then most tutorials I found, I'll probably be using the same execution to build most of my models.

Here's the webpage (I used a pdf someone made of this page): http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorial...ing/index.html
    This was my first attempt at modeling a car in maya (still not finished, need to add windows which are a pain in the nutsaqs):

Quote Originally Posted by missinghopper
    i hate maya...it never does what i want it to
    That's because you don't love it anymore.

7. my biggest critique is that the chin and jaw line need to be hmmm thickened made rounded less sharp if that makes sense to you

My other biggest suggestion for 3d modeling in general is to USE REFERENCE material be it photos or drawings but I would either draw or get a photo of a face from the front and from the side and load them up as image planes it'll make a WORLD of difference

and nurbs are the way to go by the way
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    my biggest critique is that the chin and jaw line need to be hmmm thickened made rounded less sharp if that makes sense to you
    Makes sense to me, I'll work on that. I just need to toss in a bunch of split polygons and then round off the edges, bulging them out slightly to follow a jawbone.

I also rounded the nose and dropped it down, makes it look a lot better. Updated pics will follow once I get some more done.
    My other biggest suggestion for 3d modeling in general is to USE REFERENCE material be it photos or drawings but I would either draw or get a photo of a face from the front and from the side and load them up as image planes it'll make a WORLD of difference
    Apparently not since that's pretty much what I did.
    and nurbs are the way to go by the way
    So I've gathered but I haven't used them yet and have no real clue how to go about doing so. Maybe once I'm done with this model or perhaps I'll learn to use them to help craft the body.

9. For the program I'm in, I was required to do some 3d work. We mainly worked in Lightwave 3d, which treated me very well when I was using it. The modeling itself is way different than modeling in Maya/3d Studio (which seem to be similar). I've only produced one animation so far, I think it was 2 years ago. I just encoded it in Flash to minimize file size, it's really crappy quality though, and I should really reencode it with better quality.

You can check it out here

MechDeus, that is definately a good start for modeling a face. There are definately some things that could use improving. From what I can tell the nose seems to need broadening, especially from the front view. And the dip in the forehead seems a littke exaggerated. From the bottom view render, the space between the mouth and the chin needs to be pulled out a little, at least to lessen the indentation that there is currently. Pulling the front polys of the lips back so they arn't so far away from the face may help too. They look that way at least from the bottom view. I don't really know about profile though. And maybe making the corner on the front of the chin a little less exaggerated.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being picky, I've been critiquing peoples face models (and 3d models in general) for a long while. Like Shin Johnpv said, make sure to use reference material. There is nothing harder than modeling something that is organic straight from your brain. Especially because you're going to miss some of the finer details in what you want to model.

Hope I was of some help!
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    So I've gathered but I haven't used them yet and have no real clue how to go about doing so. Maybe once I'm done with this model or perhaps I'll learn to use them to help craft the body.
    Do a search for the making of Bingo which will show some good Face Nurbs modelling stuff it talkes about laying out the b-splines so that the way the CVs flow and move follow the way the muscles in the face move (which is really the most important thing in modeling a face or body with polygons or nurbs laying them out so the vertices or CVs can move in a way that is close to the way the muscles move) at least if you're planning to animate the thing.

as for the body look for a video by Doug Law, advanced modelling or 3d human modeling or something like that I forget off the top of my head but bassicaly what the making of bingo does for the face this video does for the body, shows you how to lay out the body and the nurbs patches so they all flow together right and make for good animatable characters.

I don't know I just always liked Nurbs, Polygons are huge though right now, theyre kind of all the rave, as are Sub-Ds, I started with Power Animator on the SGI machines and that was pretty much all nurbs so Nurbs are what i started with and am most familar with.

also post a pick showing the wireframe or the mesh of the model if you can
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.