Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Comic/Manga Club: Death Note

1. TNL Comic/Manga Club: Death Note

Death Note:
    Death Note is the popular manga from Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go) and the mysterious author, Tsugumi Ohba. It started in Japan's Weekly Shonen Jump in 2004, and has since been accumulating fans since, including its debut in English from VIZ Media since October 2005 and will be up to Volume Six with July 2006.

Ryuk is a Shinigami, a death god who collects human souls. But life in the land of death has gotten stale. The other Shinigami never want to go out and have fun, they just sit around and roll skulls all day (think dice). So Ryuk decides to make his own amusement by dropping a Death Note into the human realm. Death Notes are the notebooks Shinigami use to record the names of the people whose souls they collect. Humans can use the notebooks to kill too, and that's what Ryuk is counting on ...

Light Yagumi is a super-achiever. He gets top scores in school and for the national college entrance exams. He's a perfect student, son, and brother. But man is he bored! (But still not emo enough to use myspace.) Light's life is totally predictable, and nothing can really pique his interest ... until he stumbles across an old notebook with the words "DEATH NOTE" written across the cover. Inside, he finds instructions for using the Death Note, and even though he sure it's a prank, Light wastes no time in trying it out. After all, he's got nothing better to do ...

Recommended Soundtrack:
    Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (2005)

Links:
    Wiki: Death Note
    Anime News Network: Death Note
    Death God.org, a Death Note fansite
    Special thanks to Shonen Jump No. 34 for description and character info pieces above.

Personal Notes:
    Though I had some Western material in mind, thought I diversify the club a bit. That said, those with money to spend should take eye to the Secret War oversized hardcover from Marvel, featuring the painted art of Gabriele Del'Otto - I'd like to have recommended it, but the softcover collection hasn't been released yet so that's hardly fair. Another book, much cheaper, is DC Comics' All-Star Superman written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Frank Quitely; it is, thankfully, Superman not sucking and instead returning to the magical Man of Tomorrow that the world fell in love with.

For my next choice, I'm keeping on eye on the above as well as Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross given the oversized hardcover treatment in July, as well as the possibility of it being available in libraries for some club members, and I'm looking into some cheap/inexpensive European materal to digest as I'd like to look into that market/creative pool.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy Death Note as it's incredibly interesting imo and couldn't be done here in the current America unfortunately. If you're like me, you ask yourself what you would do and how far you would go as you read it.
    Last edited by Geo; 24 May 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Yeah I read all that was out of this last year and it was good.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. I've been reading this as soon as volume 1 came out in the US. I've been hooked ever since and now I'm waiting on volume 5 to come out. I really dig Ohba's art and his writing/story telling is top notch. I sometimes wonder how he comes up with some of the stuff in Death Note. Plus anyone that can make the game of Go interesting and increase its popularity with a simple manga like Hikaru no Go, then he must be good.

The whole cat and mouse game Between Light and L is like an intense detective chess game, which makes me read each volume from start to finish in one sitting. I believe the story takes a major twist later on, but I've not read any of the scanilations that came out years ago. Also Misa is any gothy anime fan boy's wet dream.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    I believe the story takes a major twist later on, but I've not read any of the scanilations that came out years ago. Also Misa is any gothy anime fan boy's wet dream.
    not a member of the club, but i just felt like chiming in...

the scanslations are up to 105 i think. the group working on it are getting to be slow as fuck and are lagging behind by a good 4 chapters or so. but yea, i don't know what it's up to in the american release, but there are quite a number of twists and turns. i don't want to say anything because it'll spoil way too much, but the writing is really top notch and even during boring bits, things still move along fairly well. i haven't been keeping up with what's coming out here lately, but DN is definitely one that's worth getting and one of 3 mangas i'm currently reading (through scans; Eyeshield 21 and Futari Ecchi are the others).

DN is a great choice and highly recommended. and Misa Misa is so awesome (although not as gothy as you might think).

5. I've followed the series since it's debuted, I've had a blast reading it. Every chapter throws a new twist in and you're left cliffhung and trying to sort things out right along with the main characters. I do think it's started to wear out, though, and I'm glad it looks like they're going to wrap the story up in time for the Death Note movies later this year.

6. TOWNL is awfully slow. I've read up to 102 with them, and I have the first 3 English books from Viz. The US handling is pretty damn good, I'd recommend reading it any way you can. Really love the series. Meant to make an L avatar a while back, I might go and do that now.

Big spoilers ahead, tread lightly:

I thought things were going to run out of steam around the time that L died, but I sure was wrong. There have been periods where it drags every now and then since Light became the new L, and though it's been damn entertaining lately, how much longer can this go on? It seems like things are building to a conclusion, and I'm fucking dying to read 103+, but again, it's taking its time.

Anyone know of another group that scanslated anything higher than 102 as of yet?

7. I've been following the US releases and enjoy it, but I really wish Light was a bit more empathisable as a character. His goal started out fairly noble if a bit rash, but in practically no time at all he's (Vol. 1 & 2 spoiler) killing any investigators he can. I would have liked to have seen it take a bit longer until his power corrupted him, killing the fake L was somewhat understandable since he was directly issuing a threat and Light was acting impulsively, but a lot of the other investigators he offed weren't anywhere close to being on his trail and took a lot of premeditation to get info on. It would have been preferable to see him make some sort of effort to just stall them and throw them off the trail rather than just outright enacting a scheme to kill them. It seemed a very abrupt moral transition.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    I thought things were going to run out of steam around the time that L died, but I sure was wrong. There have been periods where it drags every now and then since Light became the new L, and though it's been damn entertaining lately, how much longer can this go on? It seems like things are building to a conclusion, and I'm fucking dying to read 103+, but again, it's taking its time.
    yea, that whole arc where Light "lost his memory" and were going after the business guy was boring as fuck. BUT... as soon as they caught him and Light used that really f'n clever trick to come back was incredible! not a real big fan of the whole Light/Near stuff, but it's working out pretty well if not a little too slowly IMO. still good stuff, though.

Anyone know of another group that scanslated anything higher than 102 as of yet?
    this one guy is doing some fairly quick releases over at Manga Helpers. might not be as good as TOWNL's work, but it's definitely better than having to wait however long for them to release things. Stop Tazmo's got them too, but their servers are hit-or-miss nowadays. of course, MH sometimes ends up with corrupt transfers/files.

9. Awesome. I read up to 105. I was not expecting things to unfold quite like this.

10. I've read all the volumes that have come out state side for far. One of the best manga I've read. I can't wait to read volume 5 to see what happens. Though It looks like I have to be careful in this tread as not to be spoiled.