Thread: Selling used parts?

1. Selling used parts?

I went through building 3 computers and I'm wondering just how do I get rid of old hardware when it's no longer needed?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

A) give us a list of stuff and let us buy it from you, B) computer message boards C) ebay D) local paper E) Your stupid real life freinds

3. sharky forums and anandtech.

4. Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    I went through building 3 computers and I'm wondering just how do I get rid of old hardware when it's no longer needed?
    How old is old? I'm looking for a new mobo and maybe a CPU.

If your items are old, dont bother with eBay unless its big HDs, memory, etc. If not, just donate it (if full PC) and you'll get a tax write off.

If you cant sell it or anything, you can take it to a dump place and they can dispose it properly.

5. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    A) give us a list of stuff and let us buy it from you
    I like that suggestion, I'll look through my junk and see what I can come up with.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

6. I often sell things on ebay.
    My school throws old computers out once in a while, and I go and take all the ram and hard disks from them, and usually I can get like $100 if it goes well.
    I also sell a lot of parts from computers that people throw out (?!).

Although you might not get the highest prices, there is always a demand for crappy computer parts on ebay, whereas in the newspaper/forums, no-one really wants a socket A (or equivalent) cpu/motherboard anymore.

Just make sure if you're posting it you package it well. That means anti-static paper, put stiff card board on either side of the component (if its small) and that way you can't get called for if it doesn't work.

I guarentee you everything sells on ebay in terms of computer parts, unless its ridiculously old. I have sold six PC100 32mb sticks for $10 a few months back, which although isn't a lot of money, it's still $10, and they went to a good home.
    If it was bought in the last 6-7 years, it should still sell on ebay. Check before hand and see what prices you're looking at.

Another forum is here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
    If you still want to try that out.