Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Search for Something New

1. The Search for Something New

Now that I'm done with another exciting year of my further education, I've decided that I'd like to see some new anime. Hopefully "new" doesn't mean "horrible", "no story", or a "million panty shots". I'm currently downloading the first episodes of a couple of series that sounded pretty good in theory, and I was just wondering if I could get some feedback if any of ya are watching these as well.

It seems a couple of the manga I read got the animated overhaul:

Ouran High School Host club (桜蘭高校ホスト部 )- The manga version of this is hiliarous (if not total fluff) You can check it out at Barnes & Nobles if you want a quick skim of it in english. Basically the main character Haruhi isa scholarship students at an obnoxiously rich school. One day she accidently breaks a vase ( something like 80,000 ? dollars) belonging to the "Host Club". The nitwits think she's a boy, and force her to work for the club to pay for the damages.
    http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/791.html

XXXholic- One of the newer series by Clamp, I've been reading it side by side with Tsubasa since it first came out (you can also check this one out at the bookstore as it's got an excellent english release) I'm hoping the animated version captures the charm of the manga, I guess I'll know in a couple of hours...I'm not even sure how to summarize it, but I love the manga.
    http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/788.html

Nana (ナナ )- I've been reading the manga in Cookie for a long...looong time. This is Ai Yazawa's latest manga work, and by far her most popular. It's hardcore shoujo drama so I dunno how exciting that is for you all. The premise are two girls both named nana, who come to tokyo for strinkingly different reasons. A chance meeting on a train seems to almost be destiny, when they both go to rent the same apartment, and end up deciding to share the place. The manga has been running in the english Shoujo Beat compilation for awhile. ( and if you have been downloading, watching, and liking this series; may I also recomend Paradise Kiss )
    http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/793.html

The only one I knew absolutely nothing about:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 )- I just really liked the title of this one, to my understanding it's about a girl with an interest in the occult ("no interest in ordinary humans"? oook) that start the "Save our world by Overloading it with fun Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade "(the S.O.S. Brigade for short).
    http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/786.html

And I guess I'll be checking out the disgaea anime, even if the animation is kind of horrible for it.

Well that's what I got so far, anyone else pick up anything worth mentioning? I love animesuki, but at the same time, since I'm not familiar with what 1/2 the series are, it feels like I'm wildly swinging at the ball sometimes.

2. Black Jack TV
    Black Jack TV
    Black Jack TV
    Black Jack TV
    Black Jack TV
    It is not in any way like the OVA. Except that it has Black Jack and Pinoco and many, many, many Tezuka characters. Some episodes are only good, but quite a few are great. Also available through Animesuki.

Binchou-tan is god dang cute and then some. Imagine something so cute, it could not possibly any cuter, and then, then add .00000000000000000001 to it. It's very relax and has beautiful music.

Petopeto-san is complete from Doremi and Spork fansubs. You'll have to look around for it, but it's not that hard to find. I think up through 11 is out. Like i've said before, it's great except for one or two just plain bad episodes.
    Donk

3. .hack//roots imo.

I wish I could do torrents and at will watch fresh anime.

So... are you just looking for brand spanking new anime, or anime that is new to you?
    Last edited by Scourge; 28 Apr 2006 at 11:44 AM.

5. Scourge, if torrents are the issue try http://national-anime.com/ there are instructions in there but basically it's $5 a month for as much as you can grab.

It's a matter of being on dial-up. Shhh, don't tell anybody.

7. so sry.

Nobody reads these threads anyway.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    So... are you just looking for brand spanking new anime, or anime that is new to you?
    Just looking for something different, I used to download *Everything* that came out , shit or not, but I don't have the time to sift through crappy crap to find things I enjoy. It doesn't have to be new in the sense of it just coming out...but stuff I haven't seen

Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    .hack//roots imo.
    I saw the first episode, seemed like I was watching my sister play an mmorpg.... Does it pick up?

9. LenLeeeeeen.... Watch Black Jack.
    Donk

10. Quote Originally Posted by Finch
    LenLeeeeeen.... Watch Black Jack.
    Okay! I will priortize it as my next download <3