Thread: Help buying laptop RAM

1. Help buying laptop RAM

I have an IBM Thinkpad R51. I've gone through IBM's laptop website but their RAM costs $200 and that's just too much. Can anyone recommend 1 GB RAM for this laptop?

2. www.newegg.com

Find out exactly what type of RAM your model uses and search for it there.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. I've already gone that route. Now I need to know which RAM you guys recommend. If it helps, it has to be PC2700. I just don't know the difference between ValueRAM and non-ValueRAM.

4. Nothing wrong with value ram, just be sure to run memtest when you get it to make sure it has no problems. As long as you get one with a decent warranty you can replace it if there's any minor faults. Patriots warranty is pretty good.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. This memtest sounds intriguing. How do I run it?

6. Just download it, and it'll run itself

7. Boo, I have no floppy drive.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found one that doesn't need it. Thanks, this will come in handy.
    Last edited by Raz0r; 03 May 2006 at 09:43 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Raz0r
    I've already gone that route. Now I need to know which RAM you guys recommend. If it helps, it has to be PC2700. I just don't know the difference between ValueRAM and non-ValueRAM.
    When ram is produced, they test how fast/tight timings it will run before it is no longer capable of running memory tests, and craps out.

If ram doesn't make it very far, then it is sold as value ram, as it has little potential for going faster than stated, and will run with loose timings, say 3-3-3-8 for PC2700.

If ram goes a long way, then it is sold as higher quality ram, like Corsair XMS, or whatever, and has much potential for going faster (good for overclocking), and at stock settings, it will run much tighter timings, like 2-3-2-5 for the same speed as before.

Since you aren't overclocking, the only difference is the timings. If you go for higher quality, you get tighter timings, which will give you a performance boost, but it may cost more, maybe like $20-30 more for 1gb.

IMO, if you can afford it, get good quality ram, but otherwise value ram also works very well, there is just a slight difference in performance. Good quality ram also comes with a heatspreader on which looks neat, if that is a big plus for you.