Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Do the Math

1. Quote Originally Posted by sethsez
    Right, and with the Xbox 360 you don't have to pay for it.

Actually, you didn't have to pay for it on the Xbox either. You needed to buy something to watch DVDs on it (though this was easy to get around with a mod). So really, Sony's the only one pulling this bullshit.
    The Xbox has DVD playback built in but you have to pay to unlock it. You paid for the DVD player when you bought an Xbox, and then if you actually wanted to watch DVD on it you had to spend even more money. Trying to play that off as a good thing is fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque
    Exactly.

I don't want to connect via WiFi because it's not as clean and I don't give a rats ass about HD-DVD becuase I don't even have a fucking HDTV. They're charging me 300 dollars for things I don't want and can't use.
    If you don't have an HDTV, you're paying for a hell of a lot of features in both the 360 and PS3 that you'll never use.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bojack
    Patience is a virture few have however and most peeps wouldn't give two shits about 360 and it's upgrades anyways because it's not new, so whether or not you can buy 360 + extras for same price as PS3 doesn't matter to most. I don't see what's the point of bringing it up.
    Usually, when the biggest/last console is released, the older consoles take off. Genesis sales soared when the SNES was released.
    No gnus is good gnus.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers
    The Xbox has DVD playback built in but you have to pay to unlock it. You paid for the DVD player when you bought an Xbox, and then if you actually wanted to watch DVD on it you had to spend even more money. Trying to play that off as a good thing is fucking ridiculous.
    No, it was a licencing issue. Royalties need to be payed for every DVD sold. One of the companies who get the money, a big contributor to DVD, was Sony.

So if MS shipped every Xbox ready to play DVDs out of the box, Sony would have been getting a piece of every one, in reality a lot of the cost of the DVD add-on went to other companies pockets. DVD playback was a non-feature for people by the time the Xbox shipped, so IMHO it was a smart move by microsoft.

5. You do realize that Microsoft can drop the Core system and still come out on top? No matter how you look at it the 360 is 200 dollars less than the ps3. And I don't need all that other crap i'm happy having wires go all over the place and HD-DVD, don't particularly need it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Daitokuji
    You do realize that Microsoft can drop the Core system and still come out on top? No matter how you look at it the 360 is 200 dollars less than the ps3. And I don't need all that other crap i'm happy having wires go all over the place and HD-DVD, don't particularly need it.

Which is why I"ll be eating my words for Gears of War this year.

It's like a complete reversale of roles this gen.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

7. In Japan, with the 360 a non-entity, it will be fun to see how a $200-$250 Wii does against a $600 PS3.
    No gnus is good gnus.