Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Math

Question Do the Math

I was with you guys, going rabid at the thought of a $600 PS3, until I used my fucking head. Look at it this way:

$400 Xbox 360 Premium
    $100 WiFi Adaptor
    $200 (guess) HD-DVD Adaptor
    ---------------------
    $700 Total

vs.

$600 PS3 Premium with WiFi and Blu-Ray built-in

Sony really isn't in the wrong for this price point, given the features. They also didn't split the market by offering a non-HDD model, so their games can assume an HDD and cache with it.

2. I wouldn't get either the HDDVD adapter (but did they announce the price for it?) or the wifi (wired 4 life), so it doesn't matter. Besides, this is why options are good. $400 is a lot of money. $600 is just cruel.

At least MS lets you trade up, albeit after paying a premium price. You can tell the difference between the two companies' main business here - if you want to spend less on a Sony TV you are SOL, it can never be as good as a Bravia. 360 is more like a PC. But I like the PC.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 09 May 2006 at 10:07 AM.

3. Yoshi: You are entirely correct. But the general public don't do no good at math. Esspecially here in Florida. My guess is that people will see the $200 difference and not really comprehend anything beyond that.
    A is for action

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Sony really isn't in the wrong for this price point, given the features. They also didn't split the market by offering a non-HDD model, so their games can assume an HDD and cache with it.
    Sony isn't splitting the market? Did you forget what comes (or really doesn't come) with the $500 unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamespot
    The PlayStation 3 will come in two configurations, one will have a 20GB hard drive and the other will have a 60GB hard drive. However, losing 40GB isn't the only downgrade with the 20GB version. The 20GB version, priced at $499, will not have Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash inputs, Wi-Fi capabilities, or any HDMI output.
    Not only is Sony splitting the market by offering a system that doesn't have Wi-Fi, Memory Stick, and HD capabilities, but they're not allowing users to upgrade the $500 systems later on.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. You're also omitting the fact that the XBox Wifi adapter works with the 360, so there's $100 saved if you bought it the previous gen.

And who gives a shit about HD-DVD, anyway.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Quote Originally Posted by EightBit
    Yoshi: You are entirely correct. But the general public don't do no good at math. Esspecially here in Florida. My guess is that people will see the $200 difference and not really comprehend anything beyond that.
    Apparently they "don't do no good" at English either.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have 2 options. I really don't understand that shit with any of the companies.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I was with you guys, going rabid at the thought of a $600 PS3, until I used my fucking head. Look at it this way:

$400 Xbox 360 Premium
    $100 WiFi Adaptor
    ---------------------
    $700 Total

vs.

Except I don't NEED the WiFi or HD-DVD.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi

$400 Xbox 360 Premium
    $100 WiFi Adaptor
    ---------------------
    $700 Total

vs.

Your assuming the 360 doesnt drop, which may not happen, but a real possibilty.

They arent in the wrong in the least, honestly, I was expecting a $700 price point considering a stand alone HD-DVD deck is in the $500 area.

That doesnt mean anyone is going to buy the thing. The mass market couldn't give a shit about it when the 360 is cheaper out the door, the Wii is much, much cheaper out the door, and the games arent really going to look that much better on the PS3 for at least a while.
    Last edited by Wildkat; 09 May 2006 at 10:22 AM.

lol. I find it hard to believe you just did that "math." Just because PS3 comes with blu-ray does not mean I am required to buy a $200(?) HD-DVD adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

10. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    You're also omitting the fact that the XBox Wifi adapter works with the 360, so there's $100 saved if you bought it the previous gen.
    Any wireless bridge'll do it. You don't even need any special "OMFG MICROSOFT EDITION" shit.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    And who gives a shit about HD-DVD, anyway.
    Seriously.