Page 1 of 16 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: ChaoofNee Needs Advice in Looking for a Car

1. ChaoofNee Needs Advice in Looking for a Car

Being that I crashed my last car into the back of a Jeep in the rain at the beginning of last semester, I am now in need of a new car.
    My parents have suggested getting a lease on a new car instead of using the paltry amount I have in savings bonds and savings to buy a used one. Why? This thing'll actually last me, and I'll buy it at the end of the three years. I won't get a garbage thing for a half year.

Then again, my parents also suggested 14 years of Catholic school.

Regardless, I'm going to need an automobile. I'm not going to need anything too large and I'd really like something that doesn't use so much gas, like everyone else does nowadays. Does anyone have any suggestions so that someone can respond with "STFU *car manufacturer* sucks!"?
    I have a Mario SuperMushroom sticker and no car on which to put it.

2. Leasing a new car is the stupidest thing one can do with one's money.

IBTN. Buying a new car, especially an American car, is close behind though.

4. IAWTPx2

5. that's what I was thinking.

Then again, I need a car. Need. I only have enough for a shitty used. Not even a good used.

So, yeah, that's the only reason why I'd lease.

6. Yeah, don't lease. Buy.

Anyway, if you're looking for reliability above all else, go with Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. As long as you change the oil those things will run forever.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    that's what I was thinking.

Then again, I need a car. Need. I only have enough for a shitty used. Not even a good used.

So, yeah, that's the only reason why I'd lease.
    The debt load isn't worth it, and with some legwork you can find some old lady or something who has a decent car with possibly a lot of miles but really well-maintained. They're always out there, because people don't buy used anymore for some reason.

You buy it, hand her the check, drive away with it, and you can focus on saving up for a better car when you need it. Instead of having this $200+-a-month albatross around your neck.

edit: car insurance is less, too.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 12 May 2006 at 11:15 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffx
    You buy it, hand her the check, drive away with it, and you can focus on saving up for a better car when you need it. Instead of having this $200+-a-month albatross around your neck.
    Bingo. Time to tell my parents to STFU, your idea sucks.

9. I agree that you should go used. Leasing a car is the worst. However if you do decide to go new and you want something cheap with high MPG look at the Honda Fit.

Give us some dollar values that you're looking to spend if you buy new vs. used.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Yeah, don't lease. Buy.

Anyway, if you're looking for reliability above all else, go with Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. As long as you change the oil those things will run forever.
    You can't really make those generalized statements anymore. Nissan in particular has moved some production from the US to Mexico, and their quality ratings on some vehicles have taken a dive in recent years because of it. As much of an "old person car" as a Buick is, that may be my next car (or a Lincoln LS). Other than the grill the newer styling isn't bad and they are currently reliable as hell, I know last year I think it was they were above Honda at #2 in the JD Power quality rankings. Plus, as Yoshi pointed out you buy the American (or the car "percieved" as American) car used and because it devalues more than an import (or import nameplate anyway) you get more car for your money. Most people point this out as a negative, I think it's a plus for me personally, since I can see no reason to buy a brand new car. And since I've thoroughly researched the vehicles I've purchased in the past, I've had very few problems with the GM and Chrysler Corp. vehicles I've been driving for 15 years of my teenage/adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    However if you do decide to go new and you want something cheap with high MPG look at the Honda Fit.
    Not sure about the Fit, but being a first year guinea pig for any manufacturer is a bad idea. I've heard there are some problems with the Yaris even.
    Last edited by sphere79; 12 May 2006 at 12:28 PM.