Page 1 of 95 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Galaxy

1. Super Mario Galaxy

I'm kind of interested in the game since, well.....it has potential to be a good Mario game but Sunshine really let me down towards the end when things just got needlessly complicated and I didn't even really mind the jet pack all that much.

I haven't seen a whole lot of official high res screenshots but I'm trying to download some movies so I'm curious as to how the whole planet thing works. I'm hoping for differently themed planets of the usual fare like forest, fire and all that but from what I see it kinda looks like miniaturized planets with a weird sort of gimmicky stage. Hopefully it'll get as much mileage from a space theme the same way Sunshine did for the tropical caribbean stuff (which I admit wass really cool).
    Last edited by Will; 14 May 2006 at 07:54 PM.

2. Super Paper Mario = good
    This = throw it in the garbage

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    Super Paper Mario = good
    Does Super Paper Mario continue the story from the other games or can I just enjoy it as a standalone without references to the GC one?

4. I don't know. It's a platformer though, not an RPG this time

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    I don't know. It's a platformer though, not an RPG this time
    Awesome, I guess it makes for a good fallback Mario game then in a "back to basics" way.

6. Super Mario Galaxy is the truth. I've been hard on Mario's 3D games. I thought 64 was overrated (but still quite good) and Sunshine was garbage, but this game is fucking awesome. Best 3D Mario by a mile. I guaruntee it does not disappoint.

The thing I like most about it is the way each planet provides its own distinct challenge, which gives the level design a very dense, focused feel, and finally escapes the open space and wandering associated with Mario's 3D outings. The stuff people loved about the "void" levels in Sunshine is what makes this work, but without the camera troubles or the frustration factor.

The levels branch off at different points so there's plenty of stuff to see. The demo level had three branches, each of which concluded in an impressive, screen filling boss (a spider, and octopus, and a robot). These boss battles are some of the best I've seen in Mario games and I can describe them in more detail if anyone gives a shit.

I did feel that the Wii's motion sensing controller functionality felt tacked-on and unimportant, much like the touch screen functionality in a lot of DS games, and this game could have worked just as well with the GC controller. That said, it's a great damned game, and killer app material. Be excited.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    Super Paper Mario = good
    Super Paper Mario = excellent
    Mario Galaxy = excellent
    Joust Williams = throw him in the garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Awesome, I guess it makes for a good fallback Mario game then in a "back to basics" way.

I just hope SPM is not ashort game, and more along the lines of Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Super Mario Galaxy is the truth. I've been hard on Mario's 3D games. I thought 64 was overrated (but still quite good) and Sunshine was garbage, but this game is fucking awesome. Best 3D Mario by a mile. I guaruntee it does not disappoint.

The thing I like most about it is the way each planet provides its own distinct challenge, which gives the level design a very dense, focused feel, and finally escapes the open space and wandering associated with Mario's 3D outings. The stuff people loved about the "void" levels in Sunshine is what makes this work, but without the camera troubles or the frustration factor.

The levels branch off at different points so there's plenty of stuff to see. The demo level had three branches, each of which concluded in an impressive, screen filling boss (a spider, and octopus, and a robot). These boss battles are some of the best I've seen in Mario games and I can describe them in more detail if anyone gives a shit.

I did feel that the Wii's motion sensing controller functionality felt tacked-on and unimportant, much like the touch screen functionality in a lot of DS games, and this game could have worked just as well with the GC controller. That said, it's a great damned game, and killer app material. Be excited.

good to hear that, i've been super excited from the moment i saw this game. I wonder if SMG is the rumored Mario 128.

8. Mario 128 was always a bit of a mess, some thought it was a real game I always thought it was just a tech demo. I'm excited about galaxy, I've loved all the 3-d marios with sunshine being my favorite by a mile. I never thought mario 64 controlled terribly well and the camera was a constant hassle. This look great though.

:Edit: whoops!
    Last edited by Rem; 14 May 2006 at 08:38 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sega saturn x
    Mario 128 was always a bit of a mess, some thought it was a real game I always thought it was just a tech demo. I'm excited about galagy
    your mom is galagy.
    Last edited by marwan; 15 May 2006 at 05:35 AM.

10. Wow, marwan actually made two not-so-marwan posts in this thread.

Galaxy looks great. I love the whole gravity thing and being able to circle around the tiny planets. From the videos I've seen, you don't just walk around spheres -- you can also walk up walls and even upside down on floors that appear as ceilings.

I don't think I could ever get used to the controlling, but then again, I've never held a Wiimote -- I'm basing this idea on the struggles I saw some people having on the demo.

I see some innovative ideas here, and since I'm playing through Mario 64 at the moment, Galaxy is making me even more excited.