Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: 5 years

1. Progress is hardly slow. Compare the world in 1806 to 1906, and 1906 to the world today. Is it even possible to imagine life in 2106?

It's just slow to our minds because we're living it.

In reality advancements from science are coming in so fast and furious that our other disciplines that reign them in and give them an ethical and moral framework, like philosophy, aren't keeping up.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Partialartist
    We're apes, with delusions of grandeur.

I agree that we need to evolve past the point of wanting to murder each other over skin color and who we bow to (or once did), but we are advancing at the speed of sound right now.

The next major advancement as far as consumer products go will probably be when we run out of oil and come up with synthetic ways to fuel our products with renewable energy. I guess wind power is kind of like that, now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Oh definitely. That's what I was saying before. There's definitely change in the air, but then there are those who are working to stifle progress. Unfortunately, they're the ones in charge. It feels like there's this giant battle being fought, where those in control of the world don't want to lose it, but their grip is steadily weakening. I mean, look at what happened with Colbert. Any other place and time in history, and he would have been strung up for talking to a leader like that.

Renewable energy will be the new thing. It's been going on for a while, but it's gaining steam, especially with rising gas prices. Although, in my state, people are against putting wind turbines miles away from the islands, because they'll disturb their view. These are the people with money, and they're being listened to.
    Power does not come from knowing the answer, but from being able to ask the question.